Thursday, August 22, 2013

ROBIN'S ZUCCHINI BREAD

When we moved to CA,  we lived in a patio home for five years before we decided to bite the bullet and buy a house.  If you aren't familiar with patio homes, it is a way builders get more houses in a small area.   You only have access to three sides of your property.  That means the other side of your house has no windows.  This gives the family total privacy on the other side of their property where they have a patio.  We only had about 3 feet across the back of the property but there was a block wall and then a wooden fence on it to give us total privacy on the back side.  The floor plan was quite roomy for us and we enjoyed our five years we spent there.

Robin and Dave lived on the west side of us.  Robin liked to make zucchini bread and this is a recipe she used when she made it.  We were fortunate that she made it often and would share a loaf when she did. They moved away and we bought a house and we lost touch with each other.  I often wonder where they are and how they are especially when I use her recipe to make zucchini bread.  I don't know where she found the recipe or anything about it.  I just know that it makes a really good zucchini bread.

I did reduce the calories as much as I can -- which is what I usually do with recipes.  It doesn't change the good taste.



ROBIN'S ZUCCHINI BREAD

3         eggs
1         cup oil (I used 1/2 cup of canola oil and a 4 - oz container of unsweetened applesauce)
1-1/2   cups sugar (I used 3/4 cup of sugar/stevia blend)
1-1/2   cups brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of brown sugar blend)
2         cups grated zucchini
3        teaspoons vanilla
3        cups flour (I used soft wheat pastry flour)
1        teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon baking soda
3        teaspoons cinnamon
1/4     teaspoon baking powders
1        cup nuts (optional) (I did leave them out this time)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour loaf pans.  (I used 3 pyrex mini loaf pans)

Grate the zucchini.
Beat the eggs thoroughly.












Add the next 5 ingredients.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.  (Sifting the ingredients will assure you that there are no lumps in the baking soda and baking powder.)









Add the dry ingredients and mix til just combined. 

Add nuts if you choose.

Pour the batter in the loaf pans.












Bake for 45 - 60 minutes depending on the size of loaf pans you use.  Two larger loaves will take longer than the three mini loaves.  Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center.  It should come out clean when done.

Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.

Remove and continue cooling on rack.

Great served warm or cold.


1 comment:

  1. I used the same recipe from back in the 70's. I use Poppy seeds instead of nuts. This Zucchini bread is delicious! Thanks for posting.
    Wishing you well,
    Nenette Popiela-West

    ReplyDelete