Thursday, October 6, 2016

HOW TO COOK CHICKEN TO SHRED IT

I have to give credit where credit is due with this tip for cooking chicken to shred it.....(I asked my dil Sara what she does since she makes so many recipes in the slow cooker using shredded chicken.) She told me how she cooks it, but admitted that our son Jeffrey shredded it for her. She says he does it so well and she just doesn't.

We both buy our chicken breasts from ZayconFresh.com. The chicken breasts are fresh, not previously frozen and so big. How big are they, you ask? So big that one breast is all I ever need to make a meal with leftovers for us.

Sara often will cook the chicken breasts from a frozen state. I usually thaw mine.

How to Cook Chicken to Shred It

Place chicken breast fresh/thawed or frozen in a slow cooker with about an inch of water.


Cook on Low for 3 - 4 hours if chicken is thawed or 5 hours if frozen. (I cooked mine on High for 1 hour and then 2 hours on low. Look what nice chicken broth it made also.)


To shred, remove chicken and place on cutting board or surface. Hold one end steady with a fork. Using another fork, drag fork over surface of the cooked breast so that a thin layer of shredded chicken comes off.


I ended up with a lot more than 1-1/2 cup of shredded chicken, so I placed the rest in a container and put it in the refrigerator to use later. I may make chicken salad sandwiches for us for lunch later this week. That would be nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment