Friday, October 28, 2016

BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS

After living here for eight years, we are finally unpacking the last few boxes we had stored in our garage. Many had photos that are going to take quite a while to sort through. Some are earlier pictures of my parents....some in good condition....others faded. It is such a shame. 

Some of the boxes contained fabric - really nice fabric - that I bought back when I sewed some of my clothes. Hard as it is to part with it, I have been bagging a lot of it and donating it to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. 

Wednesday while I was trying to make room for a container of stuff to go through later when I have the time to really consider what to do with it, I found a 1989 Annual Recipes from Southern Living. I decided it was a good time to take a break, and sat down and flipped through it. There was an index card in the front of it where I had already filled both sides of it with recipes that had caught my attention before. I checked some of them out and couldn't help but notice this recipe for Baked Chicken Nuggets on the page with a recipe I had noted.

I haven't cooked chicken in a week or so and thought it sounded like a good recipe to try for dinner that night. I thought I would cut the breast into strips, but when I actually got to preparing the dish, I decided to go on and make the nuggets as the recipe instructed.

The first thing my husband said when he came to the dinner table was, "Well, they sure smell good." They did and they tasted even better. After dinner he started suggesting where I could make them to share. (I think he really did like them.

I made a couple of changes because I didn't have the ingredients in the form they were called for in the recipe. I am sharing my recipe with you. I used one of the chicken breasts that I bought fresh and froze. They are so huge. The one chicken breast would have served 4. The recipe called for 4 chicken breasts. That would have been a LOT of CHICKEN!


BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS

1/2       cup fine, dry breadcumbs (I make my own.)
1/4       cup grated Parmesan cheese (I use the one in the container.)
1/4       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon dried basil
1/4       teaspoon ground thyme
chicken breasts, skinned and boned
1/4       cup butter, melted (1/2 stick)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet.

Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, salt, basil, and thyme. Place in a shallow dish.

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch chunks.






Have melted butter in a dish that will hold several pieces of the chicken. (I just used the dish I melted the butter in in the microwave.)


Dip chicken pieces into the butter,
then into the bread crumb mixture.

Place prepared pieces on baking sheet.

Bake 20 minutes or until tender.
(20 minutes was perfect with mine.)




No comments:

Post a Comment