Monday, September 5, 2016

GRANDMA'S APPLE CRISPETT

Last week my husband and I were invited to pick some apples from our friends, Jamie and Martin's apple tree. The tree was loaded and we were really surprised to see how large most of the apples were. (Thanks so much Jamie and Martin!)

So far I have made two different recipes using them - the Harvest Cookies I shared earlier and this recipe I found in Beverly Lewis' Amish Heritage Cookbook. I am not sure if the recipe was Beverly's grandmother or just the name of it. No personal note from her was included with the recipe.

I made the dessert Thursday to serve to the quilters' canasta group. I got up early and made it before I had my appointment with my dermatologist/skin cancer doctor. (My wound is healing nicely and quickly after having the "in situ" melanoma was removed. From the original silver dollar size "crater", new skin has formed so that the amount left to cover is less than the size of my thumb nail. I am so excited. By the end of the month, I will probably not have to keep it bandaged and wear the compression sock. I am truly blessed!) After my appointment I ran by the grocery store and got some vanilla bean ice cream to serve with it.

Well, the apples were just perfect for the recipe...just the right amount of tartness. I didn't substitute any of the sugar with sugar substitutes, but I did reduce the amount called for in the recipe. If you are watching your sugar intake, I might suggest reducing it even more - to 1/2 cup of each. It was plenty sweet with my reduced 2/3 cups.

GRANDMA'S APPLE CRISPETT

1       quart peeled and sliced apples (4 cups)
1/2   cup water
3/4  cup sugar (I used 2/3 cup sugar)
3/4  cup brown sugar (I used 2/3 cup brown sugar)
1       cup flour
5      tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel and thinly slice apples. (I soaked the slices in a large bowl of water with lemon juice in it to keep them from turning brown as I prepared the dish.)

Mix together the sugars and flour in a bowl. Cut the butter in thin slices to make it easier to "cut" the butter in the mixture.


Place apple slices in a baking dish. (I used an 8 - inch square dish.)

Pour the water over to apple slices to coat.

Sprinkle mixture evenly over slices. Do not stir. (Sorry the picture is dark. I had the sun coming in the sliding glass door behind me and was trying to shade the dish.)

Bake for 45 minutes.






Cool completely 


before cutting in squares to serve with ice cream or whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment