Friday, June 6, 2014

SKINNY CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD

It's Friday.  I should be out with Friend Janice going to estate sales. Instead I am home nursing a sore throat. Not a Fun Friday. 

Sunday we are playing handbells in church and I can't miss. Director Sara would be very upset with me.  Since school is out, we are already short enough that she will be playing instead of standing in front of us directing.

So instead, I guess I will get caught up on some recent activities that I need to share with you.  Here is one of a delicious chocolate banana bread I made on Wednesday. If you have visited my blog before, you know I had to make it SKINNY.

I saw this recipe for a banana bread that was made using a yellow cake mix at The Creek Line House.  While I do enjoy making recipes "from scratch", I also enjoy easy ones using a cake mix.... for two reasons.... 1) They are usually real simple and easy, and 2) I can use a sugar free cake mix and save calories.  I am always trying to save calories.  I love my desserts and refuse to give them up like some people do to lose or maintain their weight.  So I just try to make them and reduce the calories as much as I can.

When I saw this recipe, I immediately thought about using a sugar free yellow cake mix and reduce the calories.  Then I thought....why not try using the sugar free Devil's Food cake mix and make a chocolate banana bread.  At the last minute I decided to make it even more chocolate and threw in a half cup of special dark chocolate chips.  You will have probably at the most 3 or 4 chips in a slice, so that doesn't really add too many calories.  (Remember dark chocolate chips have less sugar than milk chocolate or semi chocolate chips.)

Well, I made the recipe this morning (after I went to the store and got the sugar free Devil's Food cake mix. I was out.)  When I see a recipe that calls for 3 bananas, I usually count on a banana as being 1/2 cup. That meant 3 bananas would be 1-1/2 cups of mashed bananas. Well, my bananas were a little smaller than what I usually have and after I mashed them, I was a little under the 1-1/2 cups. But I didn't have any more bananas. I was concerned it might taste a little dry, but it didn't.  In fact, it tastes really, really good.

Of course, as with all my recipes - when I cut the calories, if you don't want to, that's okay. I know I have gotten used to desserts with less sugar and what I used to eat, sometimes tastes really sweet now.  Sometimes so sweet I can't eat much.  But I don't think most of what I make, taste that much different. 

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print friendly button at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to remove the images.




SKINNY CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD

1       (Sugar Free) Devil's Food cake mix
3       bananas, mashed (about 1-1/2 cups)
2       large eggs
1/2    cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray two mini loaf pans or 1 larger loaf pan with cooking spray.


Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.


Mix on low speed of mixer til well blended.


Add chips.


Divide evenly between two mini loaf pans. (The pans I use are a little bit bigger than normal mini loaf pans.)


Bake for 40 minutes.  Test doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf.  It will come out clean when done.

Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.


Remove and continue cooling.






Serve or wrap with foil to eat later or to freeze. (I like to make mini loaves because I can freeze one to enjoy at a different time. I write the name of the bread on the foil with a permanent marker to identify it. It also allows me to enjoy a smaller slice than I would if I made a regular loaf.)

No comments:

Post a Comment