Tuesday, February 18, 2014

HEAVENLY HASH

Heavenly Hash is one of those versatile dishes you could serve as a salad or light dessert. It has been a LONG time since I last made it. The recipe was written on a card for my first recipe "box" that was really a wooden stand that sat on the counter and held the recipe like a music stand so you could easily see it when preparing the recipe.

I needed something to serve for my Mexican Train friends and decided to revisit it. I didn't want anything too "heavy" and so this just "fit the bill". I also served cookies and will be sharing that recipe later.  




HEAVENLY HASH

1       can (20 - oz) crushed pineapple or tidbits, well drained
1       8 - oz container whipped topping
1       cup flaked coconut (I used unsweetened)
2       cups miniature marshmallows
1/2    cup chopped maraschino cherries
3       tablespoons milk (I used 2 tablespoons of the cherry juice to give it a pink color)

Thoroughly mix all the ingredients.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.


Stir and serve.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this in 2014. It's 2018 now, but I needed to refresh my memory about the Heavenly Hash my mother made for decades and I have made many times, but not recently. I had forgotten about the coconut, which adds a lot to the taste and texture. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of those holiday sides that were always on the table growing up! And here we are, decades later, and my husband said he would love that this year. LOL! Thanks for saving the day!! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed a refresher receipe too for a carry in

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dessert! But my grams made it slightly different. She didn't like coconut so she used white rice instead. It was my favorite summer treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was delicious! Love memories with grandparents. Patricia

      Delete
  5. This has all the same ingredients as my Nana's Christmas Heavenly Hash; though we used whipped cream. Soaked the marshmallows in the juices from the can of pineapple and the jar of cherries overnight. So next morning the marshmallows were quite pink. I remember my dad and his brother (grown men) having a mock fight over the last bowl every year. I'm 73 now and don't remember a Christmas without it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your story! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I will have to try your version. Merry Christmas, Patricia

      Delete