Monday, June 17, 2024

WOODSTOCK INN'S BANANA-CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

 Be Our Guest. Cooking with Missouri's Innkeepers Cookbook/Travel Guide is the newest addition to my cookbook collection. The copyright is 1991, but I checked and the Woodstock Inn Bed and Breakfast still exists in Independence, MO.

According to the cookbook, the "Woodstock Inn, built in the early 1900's, is a former location for a collector doll business. Located in the heart of historic Independence, Missouri, it is only blocks from the Truman Library and home, historic mansions, Latter Day Saint religious centers, and a 10 minute drive to the Sprots Stadiums and Worlds of Fun Theme Parks.

Eleven guest rooms, all with private bath and individual climate control are tastefully decorated. Two suite rooms, which are handicap accessible, offer deluxe accommodations with sitting room.

Emphasis is on hospitality, good food (with special dietary needs considered) and knowledgeable hosts on points of interest. Private, lighted, off-street parking lot."

The online picture and the drawing in the cookbook indicates no change in the building. Sounds like the perfect place to stay if you are planning a trip to the Kansas City area. I have toured some of the historic homes in Independence and the Truman Library and home is a must-see if you come.

I had some bananas that were very ripe and saw the recipe for their muffins and decided to make them. I substituted sea salt & caramel chips for the chocolate chips because I had 1/2 cup left in a bag and wanted to use them up. Besides someone else was bringing a treat with chocolate chips for the Cafe Treat. That is also why I made mini-muffins instead of regular muffins. Mini-muffins work so much better in the Cafe at church. I also reduced the sugar from 1-1/4 cups to just 1 cup and trust me, they are plenty sweet.

The mini-muffins were just perfect and I really enjoyed the taste of the sea salt & caramel chips instead of chocolate chips. Even though I sprayed the pans, the first pan I allowed to cool probably five minutes before I tried removing them and that was a mistake. The problem was as the pan cooled, where the chips happened to be on the edge touching the pan, they stuck to the pan and so the muffin wasn't as pretty. The second pan I removed the muffins after a minute or two and none of them wanted to stick in the pan.


PRINT JUST THE RECIPE.

WOODSTOCK INN'S BANANA-CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1       cup sugar

1       stick butter, softened

2       beaten eggs

1       teaspoon vanilla

3       tablespoons sour cream (I used Greek yogurt)

2       cups flour

1       teaspoon baking soda

2       ripe mashed bananas (about 1 cup)

1/2    cup chocolate chips (I used sea salt & caramel chips)



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray. (I made mini-muffins.) Set aside.


Combine sugar and butter until smooth.


Stir in eggs and vanilla and sour cream.




Combine flour and baking soda in a bowl with a whisk and

then add to creamed mixture.

Stir til all mixed up.


Fold in the bananas and

chocolate chips.


If making muffins fill 2/3 cup full. I made mini-muffins so I used a level tablespoon cookie scoop to measure amount.


Bake for 20 to 22 minutes for muffins or 12 minutes for mini-muffins.


Allow to cool only slightly before removing to cool on a wire rack. Use a knife to "run" inside the cup to loosen the muffin.


No comments:

Post a Comment