Monday, June 24, 2024

BUTTERMILK MAPLE BISCUITS

 

A good biscuit is priceless! As far as my family (and a few friends) is concerned my buttermilk biscuits are priceless. When I got married, I started with a simple recipe from my mother that made just a few. It used self-rising flour. I still have it, but rarely have self-rising flour so I haven't made it in ages. Instead I started experimenting with all-purpose flour until I finally came up with my own recipe.

That being said, I am willing to try new recipes when they look interesting. But they don't quite make the mark when we eat them. When we go out to eat and order biscuits, we can't help ourselves but start comparing them with mine. Occasionally we might find one close, but still not a 10.

The recipe I am sharing today, is one Friend and Cafe Treats Baker Dorene found and brought to share at church with the Cafe Treats. I have to say even though it is so different from my recipe in looks and taste, I would give it a 9.9 rating.

I love my biscuits crusty and these aren't. I love to break it in half with a fork and slather lots of butter on it and finally adding a little homemade jam is the "icing on the cake". 

These little biscuits are not crusty.

You won't be adding any homemade jam on them either. They don't need it. The maple mixture you spread over the biscuit is awesome!

But don't take my word for it. Just try them yourself.



PRINT RECIPE.

BUTTERMILK MAPLE BISCUITS

3       cups flour

1       teaspoon sugar

1       tablespoon baking powder

1/2    teaspoon baking soda

1       teaspoon salt

12     tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced (1-1/2 sticks)

1-1/4 cups cold buttermilk

*     *     *     *

3       tablespoons heavy cream

1-1/2 tablespoons maple syrup

large pinch of flaky sea salt


In a small bowl, combine the cream and maple syrup. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Using a large spoon, stir in the buttermilk just until the mixture is evenly moistened.

Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten the dough to 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Fold the dough in half, then repeat again three more times, for a total of four folds.

Roll the dough into a 1 - inch thick rectangle. Using a lightly floured 3 - inch round biscuit cutter *, cut out the biscuits as close as possible. Reroll the scraps of dough to cut more biscuits. 

Place biscuits on baking sheet and brush with the maple cream and sprinkle with the sea salt. Bake until golden brown for 17 - 20 minutes.

*Dorene made small ones for the Cafe Treats using a small round cutter and baked them about 15 minutes (watch carefully).  

No comments:

Post a Comment