Monday, June 3, 2024

BARB'S MOTHER'S LEMON BARS

 

I've been away for at least a week. I hope you missed me. We had the privilege to attend Hallie's, our oldest granddaughter, graduation from high school in Colorado Springs. 

When her older brother Colby graduated two years ago, we weren't able to go because they issued each student a certain number of tickets for people to attend and because their family is so big, they took up all of the tickets. That was hard for us so we were especially excited to be able to see Hallie graduate. In two years hopefully we will be able to see our next granddaughter Sadie graduate there.

We also were able to celebrate the adoption of our youngest granddaughter Bella to the family. It was a most festive long weekend.

Sometimes when we go visit them, I take my laptop with me so that I can work on my blog if I have time. This time I didn't. I left my laptop at home.

Coming back after being with them for three full days sometimes makes me sad knowing it will be six months before we see them again. This time the sadness lasted more than just one day.

The good news I'm back to normal, as normal as that is, and I am sharing a really good Cafe Treat with you from a couple of weeks ago. This recipe Baker Barb made was one of her mother's recipes. That makes it really special to me because I know how special my mother's recipes are to me.

I'll try to not stay away so long again. Hope you will enjoy Barb's mother's Lemon Bars.

PRINT RECIPE.



BARB'S MOTHER'S LEMON BARS

1-1/2     cups flour

1/4        teaspoon baking powder

1/2        teaspoon salt

2           tablespoons lemon zest

3           eggs, separated

1           cup sifted powdered sugar

1/2        cup (1 stick) margarine

1           cup sugar

1/3        cup lemon juice

1/2        cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Beat 3 egg whites until soft mounds form. Add powdered sugar gradually beating well while doing so. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

Cream the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add 3 egg yolks, one at a time. 

Add lemon juice alternately with the dry ingredients. Add the lemon zest and nuts if using them.

Fold the beaten egg whites into the mixture.

Spread the batter in the cake pan and bake for 25 minutes.

Drizzle warm bars with 1 cup of powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make easy to drizzle over the bars. (May add additional pecans to top, if like.)

Wait until completely cooled and frosting is set before cutting into bars.


No comments:

Post a Comment