Wednesday, March 1, 2023

CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA SHEET CAKE

 Saturday night we attended the Blue and Gold Ceremony for our grandson Tyler. What a proud moment watching him walk across the bridge to being a Boy Scout! It was also a proud evening to see his father, our younger son Patrick officiate at the ceremony. As busy as both of our sons were with sports growing up, they were dedicated to scouting and obtaining the rank of Eagle Scouts.

They served dinner first and we enjoyed some delicious pulled pork that Patrick had smoked along with some other dishes other parents brought. Patrick's wife Lori had told me I didn't have to bring anything since they were providing the pork, but when am I going to turn down an opportunity to make something awesome to share with others?

I decided I was going to make this chocolate cake since I had three very ripe bananas that needed to be used in something. I thought I might have some of it leftover if I made it in a sheet cake pan instead of a 9 x 13 " pan but I had forgotten how much Boy Scouts ate. You see they have to wait until last to get to go through the line and after they do, there isn't much left of the food. There were two pieces of my cake left. Wayne said no one likes to take the last of anything. Two pieces. I took them home and we got to enjoy them after we got home from eating out for lunch after church. It was too bad that there were only two pieces left. I had actually thought I would have enough leftover that I could take them to church for the Cafe for treats. Oh, well, that didn't happen.

Except for the fact that I used regular dark chocolate chips which don't actually have much added sugar because they are dark chocolate, but, of course, you don't have to use sugar-free products like I did. There are a lot of people who are diabetic and can't have the sugar and there are a lot of people who are not but are trying to eat healthy and not take-in so much sugar. We are in the latter group so I use a lot of sugar-free products when I can.

Anyway, I am going to have to make the cake for the Cafe sometime and make it sugar-free or Zero Sugar whichever term you like to use.

RECIPE here.


 CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA SHEET CAKE

1       box Devil's Food cake mix (Zero Sugar)

1/3    cup of oil or 1/2 cup whichever the box directs (a regular cake mix said 1/3 cup but the Zero Sugar one said 1/2 cup)

3       eggs

1       cup water

3       bananas, mashed (a heaping cupful)

1       cup dark chocolate chips (I used a 10 oz bag which was 1-3/4 cups)



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a sheet pan or 9 x 13" baking pan. Set aside.


Stir the cake mix, oil, eggs, and water in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon until well mixed.

 


Mash the bananas and add along with the chips to the cake batter.

Fold in until well mixed.


Spread batter evenly in cake pan.


Bake until done 25 - 40 minutes depending on the size of pan you use.


Cool completely and frost as desired.

I used a Zero Sugar chocolate frosting for the cake. I removed the lid and seal and heated in the microwave about 30 seconds until the frosting was thinner and easy to spread. You could also just dust a little sifted powdered sugar on top.


I cut the pieces into pieces about 2 x 2 inch squares.







Some pictures from the evening...










No comments:

Post a Comment