Wednesday, March 8, 2023

STRAWBERRY COBBLER

 I made a dessert for us Monday night that is so fantastic that I had to interrupt the Cafe Treats' recipes to share it with you all. I had watched a video on  Facebook last week and couldn't - almost t wait to make it.

When we went to the commissary at Fort Leavenworth Monday afternoon, I bought two bags of fresh frozen strawberries with no added sugar to make it. I bought two bags because one bag just didn't seem like one bag (16 ounces) held enough sliced strawberries. After we got home I looked for the video, but couldn't find it. I did find a recipe from Betty Crocker that was different and decided to use it for a guide. It is not often that I follow a recipe exactly and this one was no different.

I had to make Wayne wait for it to cool a bit which wasn't easy because it smelled and looked so delicious. It was very sweet - almost too sweet. I decided next time I would omit the stevia, but then last night when we warmed some up in the microwave to eat, it didn't taste as sweet. I still think the next time I make it I will try half as much of the stevia. 

I would consider omitting the stevia completely since there is enough sugar in the oatmeal cookie mix, but since there are no calories in the stevia, the addition of the stevia only changes the taste. 

I will also use different frozen fruit the next time I make the cobbler. The chocolate chip cookie mix would probably taste really good, but it does contain more added sugar. Since I haven't found a sugar-free cookie mix, I won't to use one with the smallest amount of sugar. If you don't care, you might want to try different mixes.

PRINT RECIPE.



STRAWBERRY COBBLER

1     (16 - ounce) bag of fresh frozen strawberries with no added sugar

1/2   cup of stevia or sugar

1      (17.5 - ounce) bag Oatmeal Cookie Mix, divided

1      stick unsalted butter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray lightly a 9-1/2 inch baking dish. I have a covered casserole dish that size that I used.


Measure out 1/2 cup of the cookie mix. Add it with 1/2 cup stevia or sugar in a small bowl.

Open bag of the frozen strawberries and pour into a mixing bowl.

Sprinkle the cookie/stevia mix over the strawberries and

toss to cover the berries completely.


Spread the fruit mixture evenly in the baking dish.

Sprinkle the rest of the cookie mix over the fruit.


Thinly slice the stick of cold butter and cover the top completely with the slices.


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbly.


Serve warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! The one bag turned out to be enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes in the 9-1/2 inch corning ware dish. Make sure the bag is 16 ounces. Some are less. Patricia

      Delete