Tuesday, January 17, 2023

HYATT REGENCY DATE NUT BREAD

 We just got home from celebrating Christmas this weekend with our older son and his family in Colorado. It was such an enjoyable time with them and the weather was so cooperative for the middle of January. We had a dusting of snow Sunday evening so Pike's Peak looked beautiful this morning when we left. I will share a picture I managed to capture on the way out.

I didn't get a post written before we left on Friday morning so that meant I didn't have one to publish today, Monday. To make up for that I have chosen this date nut bread recipe from the Hyatt Regency in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have this booklet type cookbook from the Milwaukee Sentinel called 1983 Recipe Book. The note for the recipe said, "A reader requested the recipe for this tasty bread served at Milwaukee's newest hotel at 333 W. Kilbourn Ave."

I have made the recipe twice now. The first time I made a 9 x 5 x 3" loaf and gave it to Gina, who does my nails. I don't usually do that - give something away that I haven't tasted, but I trusted the recipe would be good. I made it the morning before I went so I wrapped it in wax paper as the recipe directed and told her she had to wait until the next day before she could cut it. She didn't quite understand why and I admit it was a cruel thing for me to do but I didn't chose the recipe until that morning.

When I went back the next week to get a pedicure, she couldn't quit expressing how good it was and how much she and her family liked it. I'm not sure if her husband ever tried it because he expected it to be real sweet and he doesn't like real sweet dishes. She said she tried to convince him that it wasn't. That's why I think she really liked it.

It isn't real sweet so don't be expecting it to be. The second time I made it, I made two smaller loaves for us. I froze one and we ate the other. I stored it in the refrigerator while we enjoyed it. Both times I substituted orange juice for the wine. I also substituted oil for the melted shortening. Otherwise, I followed the recipe.

PRINT the recipe.



HYATT REGENCY DATE NUT BREAD

1-2/3     cups flour

1-1/2     teaspoons baking powder

1/2        teaspoon baking soda

2/3        cup non-fat dry milk

3/4        teaspoon salt

1/2        cup sugar

1/4        cup chopped, pitted dates

1/4        cup chopped nuts

2-2/3     tablespoons brown sugar

1           egg

1/2        cup Madeira wine (I used orange juice)

1/2        cup water

3           tablespoons melted shortening (I used oil)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Spray the bottom of a 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan. Set aside.


Mix and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, non-fat dry milk, salt, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl.


Add the dates, nuts, and brown sugar.

Mix well.

Add the egg, wine (or orange juice), water, and shortening (or oil), and

blend well.


Pour in pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done.

Cool thoroughly on wire rack. (I waited about 10 minutes before I removed

it from the pan.
) Wrap in waxed paper and store overnight before slicing. 
Here are the two smaller loaves I made the next week.

Here are a couple of pictures of Pike's Peak. It is so beautiful to see as you drive around the city of Colorado Springs.





No comments:

Post a Comment