Thursday, January 5, 2023

"DEEP DISH" PEACH PIE

 For several years if we are in town, we see the new year come in with our dear friends, Janice and Leon. We usually go out to dinner, although one year we did order pizza, and then come back to their house to play canasta until midnight. We usually are finishing the game when the clock strikes twelve.

This year though we had finished the game at ten o'clock. Janice and I had 9,995 points and they were considerably behind us and conceded. We convinced Leon to play another game but even though Janice and I tried to let them win, we beat them again. I have to admit they might have beat us eventually. We did stop when we finished the hand after midnight and no one had reached 10,000.

Who ever won, it was another fun evening waiting for the new year to arrive. We went to our new Longhorn restaurant and enjoyed our meal. Back at their house Janice had munchies for us to enjoy and I brought this Deep Dish Peach Pie that I made earlier that morning for dessert. We can't get together without having dessert! 

A few days earlier I had picked up one of my estate-sale cookbooks that I had never had a chance to really look at. Turns out the cookbook called EASY HOME BAKING by New England's Oldest flour company, King Arthur Flour. There is no copyright date in the book, but the clippings the owner had left in the pockets of each tab were dated from 1969 - 1977. There are a number of recipe I will be making in the future from this cookbook with label tabs of Yeast Breads, Yeast Rolls, Quick Breads, Cakes, Cookies, and Pastries - Desserts.

I did use peach slices that I had frozen from peaches on our tree. I also followed the recipe which if you read my blog much, you know I usually revise the recipes and make them my own. I considered using sugar substitute for the 1/2 cup of sugar, but didn't since it was such a small amount.

PRINT just the recipe.



DEEP DISH PEACH PIE

Filling:

2     tablespoons flour

3     cups sliced peaches

1/2  cup sugar

1/3  cup water

2     tablespoons butter

*       *       *       *       *

Dough:

1     cup flour

2     teaspoons baking powder

1/2  teaspoon salt

1/4  teaspoon cinnamon

3     tablespoons shortening

1     egg

1/3  cup milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. You will need one 9" deep dish pie plate.


Arrange the slices of fresh peaches in the deep pie plate.

Dot with butter.


Mix the flour and sugar with a whisk.

Gradually add the water

stirring constantly.

Pour this mixture over the peaches.

Set aside.


Prepare the dough by combining the dry ingredients

with a whisk.

Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients.

I use my fingers and work one tablespoon at a time.

Beat the egg and

mix the the milk with it.

Add this mixture to the dry ingredients.


Place dough on floured board;

pat out to fit the pie plate.

I tried to work with this to cover the peaches, but it tore up on me so I kneaded the dough with extra flour to make a dough I could work with.

I  rolled it out with a rolling pin.


Make several slits in the dough and

place the dough over the peaches. (I couldn't get a picture of it, but I picked up the dough with the rolling pin as far as I could across the dough to be able to pick it up to center over the peaches.)

I decided to not make a fancy rim and just tucked the excess under.


Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream if you like.


Since there wasn't a bottom crust, I didn't expect the slice to come out as a slice, but I guess the 2 tablespoons of flour in the filling helped make enough of a crust for the slice to come out. There were some peach slices that didn't completely make it to the plate. I was very surprised and pleased.


Serve with ice cream if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment