Friday, January 10, 2020

COCONUT BLUEBERRY CAKE

With all of our traveling, I haven't had much time to be in the kitchen. Yesterday afternoon Friend Fran was hosting the Mexican Train group. Earlier this week she told me I didn't have to make a dessert that she would give me a break. I told her ok but it wasn't a problem that it gave me a recipe to share here. So she said I could.

The first recipe I made I realized I left out the 6 eggs it called for. I was really upset because it was another recipe from the Amish that I have been wanting to make for a blackberry cake. I couldn't believe I did it. I went on and let it cook since it was in the oven. It looked okay but it took almost an extra hour to bake. 

Yesterday morning I looked and found another Amish recipe this time for a Coconut Blueberry Cake of Regina Gingerich from LaValle, WI. It was In Wanda E. Brunstetter 's Amish Friends Cookbook. It sounded good and I had all of the ingredients the recipe called for. 

The recipe says it was done in 22 to 24 minutes, but I cooked it at least twice that long. I have decided it must be my "new" decorative glass 9 x 13 - inch dish I got at an estate sale just before Christmas. I don't remember if I had used it, but when it took twice as long to bake something two times in a row when using that dish, makes me feel that is too much of a coincident.  So I don't think I will be making another dessert in it any time soon.

I was concerned that the cake would be dry cooking it so long but it wasn't. Friend Sue said she had never thought of combining coconut and blueberries in the same recipe. Everyone agreed it was very good.


COCONUT BLUEBERRY CAKE

 2       cups flour
1        cup sugar
3        teaspoons baking powder
1/4     teaspoon salt
2        eggs
1        cup milk
1/2     cup oil
1-1/2  cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen wild berries - they are real small)
1        cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, and oil with the whisk.

Pour into flour mixture and stir with a spoon just
until moistened.

Fold in blueberries.

Pour into pan.
Sprinkle the coconut evenly over top.
Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool in pan on wire rack. 
Cut in squares to serve.


2 comments: