Thursday, February 1, 2018

CHOCOLATE TEA BREAD


After being away for almost six weeks, I went to Hillcrest Thrift Shop Tuesday to donate the clothes and things I have been gathering. Exciting things are happening with the thrift shop. We are moving to a larger building in a shopping center which is behind the only building the thrift shop has ever known. Unofficially it is opening today. A ribbon-cutting ceremony is planned for later this month. 

But back to my story...Knowing my husband and I were going to take the things down there Tuesday and knowing I hadn't been there for over a month, I went on the search for something I could bake and take to the volunteers that I knew were working hard to get the new shop organized. I didn't have to search for long because the first cookbook I picked up was the latest one I bought, the Hershey's Chocolate Cookbook. In it I saw this recipe for Chocolate Tea Bread. I liked the idea that it only had 2/3 cup sugar in it. It also sounded like it would be fast and easy.

Well, I made it Monday afternoon and wrapped it in foil so it would be moist the next morning. I have often found breads, especially when wrapped in foil, taste better and are more moist the next day. 

Tuesday morning I sliced it before we went (and tried a piece myself, of course to make sure it tasted okay). We went by the "old" shop and dropped off a few slices. There isn't much left there since everything in the shop (except furniture which was 25% off) has been 50% off for several days, but I wanted to give them a treat also.

Response was very positive with the bread. In fact, when my husband and I went back yesterday to shop (Management allowed the volunteers to shop the day before opening to the public.), several people who had been there Tuesday working stopped to tell me how much they liked what I brought. Jerry told me how he wasn't fond of chocolate, but this bread was just the right amount of chocolate. 


CHOCOLATE TEA BREAD

1/4         cup butter or margarine, softened (I did use butter)
2/3         cup sugar
1            egg
1-1/2      cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3         cup Hershey's Cocoa
1            teaspoon baking soda
1/4         teaspoon salt
1            cup buttermilk or sour milk
3/4         cup chopped walnuts
3/4         cup raisins (optional) (I did omit)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 - inch loaf pan.


Cream butter, sugar, and egg in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. (This took several minutes on a higher speed.)


Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a smaller bowl with a whisk.


Add alternately to creamed mixture with buttermilk
beginning and ending with the flour mixture. (1/3 each time with
half of the buttermilk each time)


Beat on low speed just until blended. (Scrape the sides of the bowl first.)


Stir in nuts and raisins if using them.


Spread evenly in loaf pan.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in center.

Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing. May need to run a knife around the insides to loosen.


Cool completely on wire rack.








Wrap in foil and wait overnight before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment