Friday, March 10, 2017

SLOW COOKER CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE

I think I have said here before about how much I like Chicken Parmesan. Chances are if it is on the menu when we go out to eat, I will order it. So you can imagine how excited I was when I saw this recipe for Chicken Parmesan cooked in a slow cooker.

This is the perfect dish to make when entertaining or if you are going to a potluck. It makes a lot. Fortunately for me, my husband doesn't mind eating a casserole (as long as it is something he likes) for leftovers three or four nights in a row. I was surprised at how well it warmed up in the microwave. I just dished out a serving size in a covered microwaveable dish and pressed the reheat button for pasta. Then I took it out half way though. The browned breadcrumbs kept nicely also so it tasted as good as leftovers as it did when I first cooked it.

I used my regular size slow cooker. I think it is 3 or 4 quarts. It doesn't say on the cooker so I never remember. I only used one chicken breast because it was so big. (It was so big in fact, I didn't use all of it in the casserole.) I didn't use my 5-1/2 quart slow cooker because I needed to make sure the chicken was covered with the pasta sauce when it was cooking. I didn't think that would happen if I used my larger cooker.



SLOW COOKER CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE

1 - 2       boneless skinless chicken breasts (depending on size)
1             28 - ounce jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
3            cups uncooked pasta (I used penne pasta)
2            cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2            tablespoons olive oil
1/2         cup breadcrumbs
Parmesan cheese

Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.


Place chicken breasts (frozen is okay) in slow cooker and cover with spaghetti sauce.


Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.


Remove chicken and shred.


Add pasta to sauce in slow cooker and
add chicken. Stir but make sure pasta is completely covered with sauce.


Cover and cook for another 20 minutes.


Add the shredded cheese on top and close the lid and
let it melt about another 10 minutes.


While the cheese is melting, heat the oil in a skillet and
add the bread crumbs.
Stirring,
cook til crispy and brown.


Serve and top with some of the breadcrumbs and
Parmesan cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment