Tuesday, September 16, 2014

PUMPKIN CRANBERRY MUFFINS

I made these scrumptiously delicious muffins twice in three days. In an earlier post, I shared with you the Apple Upside-Down Cake I made for the Mexican Train "Gang".  Since I wasn't serving any snacks, I decided at the last minute that I should make the Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins that I had decided to make to take Saturday morning when I went in to "work" the first shift at the register at Hillcrest Thrift Shop.  

They were super easy and one of those "good for you" muffins. It was another recipe I found in dil Sara's Home Style Cooking cookbook from Taste of Home. They looked delicious in the picture and shouted "Fall" to me.  (I know it is still summer for a couple of more weeks, but with the crazy temperatures we have had in Kansas City this summer, it is already feeling like fall early.)

They also had the house smelling really great when my friends arrived.

I did go on and make them again Saturday morning to take to Hillcrest. They are just so flavorful.  Even though we were shorthanded (some of the regulars weren't there), I didn't have any trouble finding "takers" for the last three when I finished my shift.  



PUMPKIN CRANBERRY MUFFINS

1-1/4     cups whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
3/4       cups sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of sugar/stevia blend)
1/4       cup oat bran
1-1/2    teaspoons ground cinnamon
1           teaspoon baking powder
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
2          eggs, beaten
1           cup canned pumpkin
2/3      cup plain yogurt (I used plain, non-fat Greek yogurt)
1/4       cup canola oil
3/4      cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray 12 - cup muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper liners.


In a large bowl bowl, combine the first seven ingredients with a whisk.

In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, yogurt, and oil.


Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened with a wooden spoon.


Fold in cranberries.


Divide batter evenly in the 12 - cup muffin tin.


Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of one of the center cupcakes.


Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.

Good warm or cool (but I kept mine warm to serve.)

No comments:

Post a Comment