Friday, September 19, 2014

LEMON CAKE

I woke up Tuesday morning thinking about the Lemon Cake I needed to bake to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop later that day.  When I told my husband, he asked me what would happen if I went in and didn't take something sweet for them to eat.  Then he laughed and answered his own question saying, "They probably would tell you to go home and not come back."  

Later when I got to Hillcrest and told them what he had said, someone said they would send me home to get something and bring back. Bob said, "I would even work the register for you while you went home and baked us something to eat." It is nice to know they do appreciate my baking.  And it does give me an outlet so I don't have to have it at home and be tempted to eat it myself.

This Lemon Cake was especially enjoyed.  When I took the cover off, I told Bobbi that I had not done a very good job spreading the topping evenly over the cake.  Her response was, "Do you think anyone here will care about that?" I also hopefully found two new followers for my blog, as they were very interested in the recipe and said they would check it out when I told them it would be posted by the end of the week.

The recipe came from Lia Wilson's Quick Fixes with Mixes cookbook.  As I usually do, I did take a few liberties with her recipe. She used a lemon cake mix but I liked the results of the white cake mix I used with the addition of the lemon extract. I also was able to just use Egg Whites and not the whole eggs then.

The cake is so moist and light tasting. My husband didn't get a piece since it was all gone when I finished my shift so I think I will be making it again soon. I think he would really enjoy it.




LEMON CAKE

CAKE:

1        white cake mix
1        (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in its own juice
3        egg whites (I used 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons of Egg Whites)
1        teaspoon lemon extract
1/3     cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pineapple with juice, egg whites, lemon extract, and oil.  


Blend on low speed to moisten, then beat on medium for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.


Pour batter and evenly spread in baking pan.


Bake for 30 minutes.









Meanwhile mix topping.

TOPPING:

1         (14 ounce) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1          cup fat free sour cream
1/4      cup lemon juice


Combine the topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl.

Pour topping and spread evenly over partially baked cake. Return to oven and bake 10 more minutes.


Cool. (You can see why I said I didn't do a very good job spreading the topping out evenly. I forgot to take a picture, but it didn't look this uneven when I popped it back in the oven.)


Keep refrigerated. Cut into squares to serve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment