Wednesday, September 28, 2016

PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES (PUMPKINDOODLES)

These Pumpkin Snickerdoodles, or as Friend Fran prefers Pumpkindoodles, were probably the most talked about and eaten of the cookies I baked to share at the Gathering my husband and I hosted at the church on Monday afternoon. (I do have to admit they were really, really good.)

I saw the recipe from cookingclassy.com a while back. I was just waiting until autumn had gotten here to bake them.

For once, I followed a recipe as it was written. Next time, if I am making them mainly for us, I think I would like to make them smaller. I am just not used to eating a bigger cookie.  If you made them smaller (only one tablespoon of dough), I would check them after 8 minutes and see if they were ready.




PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES or PUMPKINDOODLES


3-1/4       cups all-purpose flour
3-1/2       teaspoons cornstarch
1               teaspoon cream of tartar
1               teaspoon baking soda
1/2           teaspoon baking powder
1/2 + 1/8  teaspoon salt
3/4          teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2           teaspoon ground ginger
1/4           teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4           teaspoon ground allspice
1               cup granulated sugar
3/4          cup packed light brown sugar
1               cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1               large egg yolk
3/4          cup canned pumpkin puree
1-1/2        teaspoon vanilla extract 


In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice using a whisk. Set aside.


Cream together in a mixing bowl the butter and sugars just until combined.
Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Mix in egg yolk,
then add the pumpkin and vanilla.


With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
Again scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Divide dough in half and place in smaller bowls
covered with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for about 45 minutes.




Just before you are ready to bake the cookies,preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Combine the 1/4 cup of sugar and 1-1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a smaller bowl. You will roll the cookie balls in this to coat before baking the cookies.


Using a cookie scoop (mine holds 1 tablespoon of water), scoop out two scoops of dough
to form 1 big ball.
(Make sure you flatten the dough on the top of the scoop.)


Coat ball in cinnamon sugar and
place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper.


Bake for 12-14 minutes until cookie is browning but still raised in the center. (I cooked mine 13 minutes.)


Leave cookies on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on wire racks.
(They will "drop" during this 5 minutes on the cookie sheets and then remove nicely to the wire racks.)

TIP!

I removed a bowl from the refrigerator when I was ready to make a cookie sheet full. Then I recovered the bowl with the plastic wrap and placed it back in the refrigerator while the cookies were baking. A few minutes before the 13 minutes were up, I removed the other bowl from the refrigerator and prepared the next cookie sheet of cookies from the colder dough. I kept alternating the two bowls in this fashion and so my dough was always good and chilled to work with.

Make sure you read my ramblings before the recipe if you want to make the cookies smaller in size.

Another one of the treats I prepared for our "guests" wasn't a cookie, but the Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread I shared with you last week. Fran did such a nice job arranging the pieces on the cake stand.





No comments:

Post a Comment