Tuesday, September 2, 2014

CORNBREAD CHICKEN POT PIE

If you regularly follow My Patchwork Quilt, you might remember my telling you about an estate sale that Friend Janice and I went to where we found two Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks that looked interesting.  I bought 101Homestyle Favorites and Janice bought 101 Hearty Recipes. We said we would share them with each other. I have found so many recipes in the one I bought and have enjoyed sharing them with you here.  

Saturday night Janice and her husband came over to play cards and brought me the cookbook.  I had asked her on Friday when we were out at estate sales (this is how we spend almost every Friday) that I wanted to borrow her cookbook for a few days. She had the cookbook opened to the page with this recipe when she handed it to me and said, "This looks really good.  I would like to try it." It was contributed by Roberta Valella from Minot, ND. She said she made it when she was out of biscuit baking mix.  All she had was the cornbread mix for a topping and it was a smashing success!  

I sent Janice a text last night telling her how delicious it was while I was eating it. It was a "smashing success" at our house, too. I know I will be making this again often. I absolutely love cornbread and the combination is just perfect. I was in a hurry and didn't cook a couple of chicken breasts, but the canned chicken worked really, really well. It was so tender and easy to break apart with my fingers. 


CORNBREAD CHICKEN POT PIE

2       boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (I used a 12.5 oz can of chicken breast)
1       10 - 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1        8 - oz container (fat free) sour cream
pepper to taste
1/2     teaspoon dried basil
8 - oz frozen mixed vegetables
1        8 - 1/2 oz pkg cornbread mix + ingredients to make
1/2     cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Spray or grease a deep baking dish (about 9 - inch square).


In a bowl, mix together the soup, sour cream, pepper, basil and chicken.

Add frozen vegetables.


Spread mixture evenly in the baking dish.






Prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions.

Carefully spread the cornbread batter evenly over the vegetable mixture in dish.


Sprinkle with cheese.


Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

Let cool for 15 minutes.


Serves 4 - 6. (It was so good, after I finished my "serving", I ended up eating that last bit left in the upper right corner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment