Thursday, September 11, 2014

ADA WEBBER'S SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

One Friday when Friend Janice and I went to an estate sale, I correctly answered a personal trivia question of one of the workers.  (Q. What was her first car that she bought? A. a Ford Mustang.) The prize was a $10 gift card for their sale.  She couldn't believe I had guessed it right since it was after 2:00 and the sale had started at 9:00 that morning. I told her that I had a used 1967 Ford Mustang that I had given my son Patrick.  Turns out hers was also a 1967 model and believe it or not the same color as mine ... yellow with a black vinyl top.

So with a $10 gift card, I had to find $10 worth of stuff I needed. Not always easy at estate sales.  Anyway, I decided to buy this cookbook that was compiled by the descendants of Thomas Decatur Cook, Sr. and Elender Ann Brown Cook. They even had a family tree in the front of the cookbook.  I was fascinated with this. It wasn't until I got it home and started looking for recipes using the index that I discovered quite a few pages were missing from the cookbook.  In fact, most of the desserts were not in the book and a few other pages were also gone.  It is frustrating how I can pick out a recipe to make and then discover that particular page is missing.

I really like sweet potatoes and have made my own recipe for sweet potato biscuits that I have shared here. Well, lucky me, (for once) the page with Ada Webber's Sweet Potato Biscuits recipe was still there. 

One day when I was baking sweet potatoes in the crock pot, I stuck a couple extra ones in there so I could make these biscuits.  They turned out so good and we were able to enjoy them with a couple other meals.

I didn't take many pictures while fixing these.  If you are new at making biscuits and would like to see how I do it, you can check out this POST for making Blueberry Buttermilk Biscuits. You can see my recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits HERE.




ADA WEBBER'S SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

1-1/4       cup all-purpose flour
3             teaspoons baking powder
1/2          teaspoon salt
3             tablespoons shortening
1              cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
1/4          cup milk (I used about half of it.)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. (I sift mine twice.)

Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. (I use my hand.)

Add potatoes and mix well only adding enough milk to make a soft dough.

Place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.

Pat out to about 1/2 inch thick.

Use a 2 - inch cutter to cut biscuits.

Pour a little oil in a plate and dip biscuits in the oil coating both sides.
Bake 15 minutes.

Serve warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment