Friday, November 16, 2012

PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD BARS

The last can of pumpkin that I opened was a large one. This worked out fine since most of the recipes I have been making lately using pumpkin didn't call for a whole can (15 oz) but 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup or 1 cup. I just put the rest of the pumpkin in a plastic container and put it in the refrigerator. 

I needed to make something today using the last of it as it has been a week since I opened it. When I got my "food handler's card" from the county  to prepare food at the church, I learned that food that has been properly handled will keep 1 week in the refrigerator.  

I found this recipe for pumpkin gingerbread bars that I had cut from the newspaper when we lived in CA and glued in my infamous notebook. I shared a recipe for pumpkin gingerbread earlier, but this one is different. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour as the original recipe called for.  I also do not have a 9-inch square pan. I used my Corning ware dish that is 9-1/2-inch with rounded corners. Since it is bars and we will be visiting our son in CO for Thanksgiving, I thought I could freeze most of them (had to eat a few) and take them with us to share with them.


PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD BARS

2   eggs
1/2   cup light brown sugar
3/4   cup solid pack pumpkin
2   tablespoons molasses
1   teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4   cup whole wheat flour
1   teaspoon baking powder
1   teaspoon ground cinnamon
1   tablespoon confectioners' sugar 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Beat eggs with electric mixer at high speed 2 minutes.

Add brown sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add pumpkin, molasses and vanilla. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger with whisk to blend.

Add to pumpkin mixture, stirring well.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.

Cut into bars and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.



Serve warm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment