Monday, November 12, 2012

PUMPKIN BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP MUFFINS

Saturday it was 74 degrees and yesterday at noon it was 33 degrees.  We had early morning thunderstorms and got some well deserved rain...1 to 2 inches depending on where you live in the city and then before lunch, sleet.  

After church and lunch out yesterday, coming home I knew I would spend the afternoon baking in the kitchen.  I cook but I enjoy baking so much more. 

One of the recipes I made yesterday was for Pumpkin-Chocolate- Chip Muffins.  It is another recipe I have in my notebook or recipes/ideas that I cut from some magazine.  The first time I made it was in October, 2010.  I made it twice earlier this year.  It calls for mini chocolate chips, but I didn't have any.  So I decided to use butterscotch chips.  I'm so glad I did.  I have a couple of recipes that incorporate pumpkin and butterscotch.  I know they taste good with the chocolate chips, too.  I indicated my changes in the parenthesis.

PUMPKIN (BUTTERSCOTCH) CHIP MUFFINS

2     cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup of soft wheat flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.)
3/4  cup packed light brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar Blend)
1       tablespoon baking powder
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1       teaspoon ground ginger
3/4  teaspoon salt
pinch of ground allspice
3/4  cup solid-pack pumpkin puree
1       egg
2/3  cup nonfat milk
3      tablespoons light margarine
1       teaspoon vanilla
1/2   cup butterscotch chip or mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Coat 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine flour(s), brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and allspice in large bowl with a whisk.

In a separate bowl, beat together pumpkin puree, egg, milk, butter and vanilla. (I used a wooden spoon.)

Pour into flour mixture; 









stir until well combined.

Fold in chips.










Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.  (I probably filled mine with a little too much batter and only got 11 muffins.  Fill the empty cup with about a half inch of water for even baking.) 


Bake for 25 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.









Remove and continue cooling.  

Serve warm.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment