Sunday, November 11, 2012

OZARK APPLE CAKE

Earlier this week at Mexican Train, my friend, Pat H, served us Ozark apple cake for dessert. It was so good.  She even had whipped cream to go with it, but most of the women didn't wait for her to get it out.  

I did though, so I could get a picture with it. 
















My friends are used to my taking pictures and asking for the recipe for my blog whenever we get together and they have homemade dishes. Pat said she had had the recipe a couple of years. In the past members used to share recipes in our New Neighbors League monthly newsletter. Now they are shared on our website. But anyway she didn't write down who was sharing the recipe.

I was attracted to the recipe because it only called for 1/4 cup oil.  I have an apple cake recipe that my cousin Marie makes that is really, really good.  We make it in a Bundt pan. Anyway, it calls for 1-1/2 cups of oil.  I know you can substitute applesauce for part of the oil, but 1-1/2 cups of oil is a lot of oil. That's probably why it is so-o-o-o-o-o good.  

This afternoon I decided to make the recipe myself. I still have a few apples left from those apples that I bought at Jamesport when Janice and I went up there. I also wanted to try it in my mini loaf pans instead of a 9 x 13 - inch pan. I will be sharing pictures I took at Pat's, but also some of my pictures from this afternoon. Pat also used dried cranberries instead of the raisins as the recipe calls for. I used the raisins. (I forgot until I looked at the pictures that she had made that substitution.)

OZARK APPLE CAKE

3         cups peeled, diced apples
1          teaspoon cinnamon
1-1/2   cups sugar (I used 3/4 cup of truvia blend)
1/2      teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon baking soda
1/4      cup canola oil
1-3/4  cups all-purpose flour (I used soft wheat)
2        eggs
1/4     cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4     cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13-inch pan or two mini loaf pans.


Mix the oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. (I just used a wooden spoon)  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.





Sift together the cinnamon, sugar, salt, flour, and baking soda with a whisk. Add the nuts and raisins. Add the apples.





Add to the sugar mixture.









Pour into pan(s).


Bake 45 minutes (9 x 13 - inch pan) or 40 minutes for mini loaf pans.  Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center.


Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.








 
Remove from pans and finish cooling. 













Whether you decide to make this cake in a 9 x 13 - inch pan or one loaf pan, or two mini loaf pans, you won't be sorry.  This is another great recipe to make to share as small Christmas gifts for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment