Saturday, November 3, 2012

CRANBERRY NUT BREAD

I can't believe how many great recipes there are out there.  I made another one today...this time for cranberry nut bread.  The recipe caught my eye because it uses orange juice and I have some OJ that I need to use.  It looked so good when I took it out of the oven and I couldn't resist having a piece while it was still a little warm..... Yummmmm-myyyyyyyyyy.

It was a recipe that I cut out of a magazine, I guess, and had glued in my spiral notebook.  I think I have talked about it before.  It is a 5 - tab subject divided notebook 9-1/2" x 6"...college rule.  I have sections for Tips, Breads, Desserts, Main dishes, and crafts.  I started this probably at least 15 years ago as a way to keep ideas/recipes that caught my eye all together in one easy-to-get-to place.  If I tried a recipe and didn't like it, I would just remove it.  I also have notes on some of when I made the recipe.  One recipe for muffins says " NOT SWEET".  I was probably disappointed in them but my husband liked them.  I probably originally planned to rewrite the recipe on a card for my recipe box when I found a recipe that I especially liked, but that plan didn't last long as my recipe box wouldn't hold another card.  Anyway, it is just really easy to store the notebook on the shelf with the cookbooks I use more often and pull it out and find the recipe.

Anyway, here it is. I made mine in the mini loaf pans so I could freeze one for later. Trust me it is really good.  I love the taste of the OJ and cranberries together.  I also used walnuts for the nuts.  You could use any nut though for your personal taste.


CRANBERRY NUT BREAD

2   cups flour (I used soft wheat)
1   cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia blend)
1-1/2   teaspoons baking powder
1   teaspoon salt
1/2   teaspoon baking soda
3/4   cup orange juice
1   tablespoon grated orange peel
2   tablespoons shortening
1   large egg, well beaten
1   (6-oz pkg.) cup dried cranberries
1/2   cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan OR 2 mini loaf pans.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl with a whisk.






Stir in the orange juice, orange peel, shortening, and egg.  Mix until well blended.






Stir in dried cranberries and nuts.









Spread evenly in loaf pan(s).









Bake 55 minutes(larger loaf) and 40 minutes for the mini loaves or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.








 
Remove from pan(s) and cool completely.


























2 comments:

  1. Two of my favorite ingredients and flavors - cranberries and OJ. This will be just right for the holiday season. Thanks

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jean. It really is good. I love those two tastes together also.

    ReplyDelete