Wednesday, April 3, 2024

APPLE CRUMBLE POT

 This is the first time this year that I have hosted our canasta group. It seems like it has been forever since I last hosted. Not sure why either. 

It was a perfect day to play cards since the sky was full of clouds, a little rain had fallen just before we gathered, and the wind was cold feeling and strong. For the first time as far as I can remember, I didn't feel rushed getting everything ready. I even had time to cut some strips for another friend from the Blankets of Hope quilting group so she could come by and pick them up. 

One reason, I guess, is the recipe I had chosen to make for dessert was so easy to prepare. Since I wanted to serve it warm and it had to cook for maybe 3 hours in the slow cooker, I had everything in the slow cooker at noon to cook. Since they group wasn't getting there until 1, I even had time to clean up the mess from preparing the dessert so my kitchen looked nice and clean when Friend Janice arrived first at 12:58. 

The recipe called for four Granny Smith apples but added about 2 pounds. Since I had five, I thought I would weigh four of the apples and I'm glad I did. It took all five of them to get to 2 pounds. I just didn't think four apples were enough to feed six of us. Then after filling the slow cooker to the absolute top, I was thinking maybe I should have used my larger slow cooker. When after two and a half hours, the topping didn't look done, I was really having doubts about using my smaller slow cooker.  All I could do was just cook it a little longer (even though the recipe stressed not overcooking it) and at three hours the topping looked done and I could serve it after it sat for a bit.

I added a scoop of ice cream that personally made it perfect. Everyone loved it and declared it a hit. I think you will also.



PRINT RECIPE.

APPLE CRUMBLE POT

FILLING:

2/3     cup packed brown sugar

2        tablespoons biscuit baking mix

1-1/2  teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/4     teaspoon ground allspice

2        pounds (4-5) Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges each

1/2    cup dried cranberries

2       tablespoons butter, sliced


TOPPING:

1       cup biscuit baking mix

1/2    cup uncooked old-fashioned oats

1/3    cup packed brown sugar

3       tablespoons cold butter, thinly sliced

1/2    cup chopped pecans



Spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. (I used a 3 quart slow cooker.)








Filling instructions:


Prepare the apples.

Combine the brown sugar, baking mix, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl.


Add the apple wedges and dried cranberries.

Toss to coat.

Transfer to the slow cooker. Place the sliced butter over the top. Set aside.








Topping instructions:


In a medium size bowl, combine the baking mix, oats, and brown sugar.


Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives or

like I do with your fingers.


Sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture in the slow cooker. Top with the pecans.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH until the apples are tender...2-1/2 to 3 hours. 


Turn off slow cooker. Remove the cover and let stand 15 to 30 minutes before serving.

Taste great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.







Serves 6 generous servings


No comments:

Post a Comment