Monday, January 1, 2024

CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS (SF)

 I'm not sure where 2023 has gone but it has gone so quickly. Next week I will have a personal celebration for starting something that turned into the Cafe Treats at Platte Woods United Methodist Church. I was hoping I would start something when I asked if I could bring something for the Cafe to go along with the coffee. I just didn't realize I would be heading it up. I started asking a few friends if they would be willing to make and bring something - cookies or mini-muffins - and leave out any nuts so no one would be concerned about eating anything. I put out a volunteer sign-up sheet and to my surprise people signed up. How exciting! 

We started with just three people volunteering each Sunday (each brought 3 dozen of whatever) and a month later we were up to five volunteers. Now we usually have at least seven different treats. We now try to have at least one gluten-free treat and one zero-sugar treat. It is always a popular place in the welcome center and that not just because of the coffee and hot tea while that is welcomed. The hot cocoa and spiced tea has been quite popular this winter.

Saturday afternoon I wanted to make something sugar-free since I didn't get anything made for last Sunday. I had seen this recipe on Facebook and even though the picture didn't look tempting, I thought I would give it a try. I used a zero-sugar yellow cake mix and no-sugar-added chocolate chips so I would have a sugar-free option.

I used my 8 x 11 - inch glass baking dish so the bars would be a little bit thicker. You could use a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish, but the bars will be thinner. Watch and adjust the baking time if you do decide to use the bigger pan. I cut my bars small to have more to offer. If you needed a gluten-free option, just use a gluten-free cake mix. Just make sure the chocolate chips are also gluten-free.

They didn't look anything like the pictured ones on Facebook which was nice. They all went before the second service was over so I am glad I put one aside to eat later. One of our four ministers enjoyed at least two of them as he couldn't help but grab one whenever he walked by the Cafe. He said they tasted great to be sugar-free. I guess I should add that you don't have to use a zero-sugar cake mix either if you don't want to. In fact, there are several different variety of cake mixes that I can think of that might make a really awesome bar. I'll have to consider that when I don't need them to be zero-sugar.

PRINT RECIPE.


CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS

1     box yellow cake mix (I used a Zero-sugar one. You could use any flavor other than a yellow cake mix, if you like.)

2     large eggs, beaten

5     tablespoons butter, melted (substitute oil if you need dairy free)

1     cup chocolate chips (I used no-sugar-added chocolate chips)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 11 - inch baking dish for thicker bars or a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish for thinner ones with a non-stick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.


Empty the dry cake mix into a large mixing bowl and add the beaten eggs and melted butter.

Beat on medium speed until a dough forms.


Add the chocolate chips and

stir until the chips are well distributed .


Drop big spoonfuls of dough into the baking dish leaving a large spoonful in the bowl.

Press the dough evenly to cover the bottom of the dish.

Then take the reserved part 

to fill in as necessary to cover the bottom of the dish.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown. ( I needed the full 25 minutes since I was using the smaller sized baking dish.)


Cool completely in dish before

cutting them into bars to serve. 









HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment