Thursday, December 28, 2023

NO-BAKE BUTTERSCOTCH COOKIES

 I needed something to make and serve for the Cafe Treats for the Christmas Eve morning service at Platte Woods United Methodist Church. I also needed something to take to friends for a gathering they were having for the friends of their son who committed suicide. I saw this recipe in Lia Wilson's Quick Fixes with Mixes Cakes, Cookies, Bars, & Goodies cookbook.  

I just happened to have an instant butterscotch pudding mix and butterscotch baking chips. The pudding mix was zero sugar which was kind of a waste since the recipe also calls for 2 cups of sugar, but I just considered that I was reducing the sugar content. 😉 I added the nuts for my friends, but omitted them for the Cafe Treats. I also had a dark chocolate instant pudding mix that I thought would be good for the church. I decided to go on and use the rest of the butterscotch baking chips with the chocolate pudding and they did give the cookies an awesome taste. 

PRINT RECIPE.



NO-BAKE BUTTERSCOTCH COOKIES

2        cups sugar

3/4     cups (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine

2/3     cup evaporated milk

1       (3.4 ounce) box (4 servings) instant butterscotch or chocolate pudding mix

3-1/2  cups old-fashioned oats

3/4     cup butterscotch baking chips

1/2     cup chopped pecans (optional)

Spread a big piece of wax paper out on the counter to form the "cookies" on.


In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, butter, and milk to a boil,

stirring constantly.

Boil for one minute.

Remove from heat and slowly add the pudding mix, stirring constantly until the mix has blended completely.


Add the oats and mix well.

Cool for 10 minutes. (The second time I made this I forgot to let it cool for 10 minutes before adding the baking chips. It worked out fine.)

Add the baking chip and pecans, if you are using them and

stir until the baking chips melt. 


Using two teaspoons, scoop out dough in one spoon, rounded, and remove (push) the dough onto wax paper with the other spoon. Shape as needed.

Allow to cool and harden. 







Arrange on serving tray or store in a closed container with wax paper between layers until ready to use.

The chocolate butterscotch version...





The amount I had in each spoon. It was probably more than they used because instead of 3 to 4 dozen, I got 5 to 6 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment