Wednesday, October 19, 2022

PEACH CRANBERRY CRUNCH CUPS

 I've made this recipe twice before I am finally sharing it with you. I am so sorry, too. I do think it is the best peach crunch/crisp I have ever eaten. Maybe because of the combination of the tartness of the fresh cranberries and the natural sweetness of the fresh peaches. Whatever it is, I do enjoy it. I used my last fresh, fresh peaches so the next time I will have to use my fresh frozen peaches that I froze. I'm sure it will still be good.

The recipe from Pillsbury Heathy Baking called for a 29 - oz can of peach slices, well drained, but why use canned peach slices when you can use fresh peach slices? 

This is the first year we have gotten any peaches from our four-year old peach tree. Last year we had some peaches on the tree but they just all disappeared. We really have no idea what happened to them. The tree was too tall for the deer to get them and I don't think the limbs were big enough to hold the weight or any animal. This year the tree was so loaded we were concerned the limbs were going to break under the weight of the peaches, but they held up. 

I also learned this year that if we pick the peaches off the tree that they will keep in the refrigerator. This year I worked myself to death the few days before we went on out road trip to northwest South Dakota trying to get the peaches peeled, sliced, and frozen before we left. We left on our trip leaving a cookie sheet covered in fresh peaches in the refrigerator and they were still okay two weeks later.

This recipe also works really where when you are entertaining and you need six servings or if you want to control the portion amounts. Since I am using my own sliced peaches and not sure how much a can of 29-ounces is, it might make more than 6 portions or they might be more generous than mine. My peach slices fill a 2-cup measuring glass to the top. So that makes a little more than 2 cups.

As far as the fresh cranberries (frozen ones I use) go, I place the peach slices in the individual custard cups and then just fill in with the cranberries. I don't measure them.

I also avoided enriched flour and used unbleached all-purpose flour that is wheat flour and not enriched. I could have used whole wheat flour but didn't have any. I'm not sure but I think this flour would be approved by the Sugar Buster doctors because it isn't enriched and the bag indicates it is just wheat flour.

PRINT recipe here.



PEACH CRANBERRY CRUNCH CUPS

1       (29-ounce) can of peach slices, well drained OR a heaping 2 cups of fresh peach slices

1        cup fresh or frozen cranberries OR 5 or 6 in each dish

2        tablespoons sugar OR sprinkle some cinnamon/stevia mixture

1/3     cup flour (I used King Arthur unbleached all-purpose  wheat flour)

1/3     cup rolled oats

1/3     cup brown sugar (I used truvia complete brown sugar)

1/2     teaspoon cinnamon

3        tablespoons butter, melted


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or spray 6 custard cups with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Note: Since I was using fresh peaches, I made a mixture of cold water and some lemon juice (maybe 1/4 cup) to place the slices in so they wouldn't turn before I got them all peeled and sliced.


Spoon the peach slices evenly among the 6 custard cups and add cranberries. Then sprinkle generously with the cinnamon/stevia mixture. (Failed to take a picture.)


In another bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Then add the butter and

mix until crumbly.

Sprinkle the topping mixture to cover the peach slices and cranberries in the cups.


Place custard cups on large cookie sheet and

bake for 20 to 25 minutes or til golden brown.


Serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment