Tuesday, October 11, 2022

LEMON PUMPKIN BARS

 It's not easy being good. 

Good in the sense of passing on desserts that aren't sugar-free or very low sugar.

But I have done pretty good ever since I started the Sugar Busters' Lifestyle the 27th of August. The pounds aren't coming off as fast as they did when I was younger, but I'm almost five pounds down so I've feeling it is worth my efforts.

Saying this I decided last time the Tasty Bunch met at Friends Patricia and Gary that I would enjoy her dessert. I had eaten light for breakfast and lunch so felt I had the calories to spare. I don't really count calories with Sugar Busters. I just watch my sugar intake, each fruit thirty minutes before a meal or two hours afterwards, and avoid the foods that have a high glycemic index - all corn, enriched flour, and white potatoes and white rice.

I decided to reward myself and enjoy the dessert. It was worth it too. When I was on Sugar Busters before I called it  "cheats" when I ate something (always dessert) I wasn't supposed to. Worse thing ever was when the "cheat" wasn't worth it. This "cheat" was definitely worth it and didn't change my weight.

PRINT recipe.




LEMON PUMPKIN BARS

Bottom layer

1       lemon cake mix (reserve 1-1/2 cups for topping)

1       stick of butter, melted

1       egg, beaten

Filling

2       cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin

3       eggs

1/2    cup brown sugar

1/4    cup white sugar

2/3    cup milk

3       tablespoons cinnamon

Topping

1-1/2  cups  Lemon cake mix

1/2     cup white sugar

3        tablespoons melted butter

1/2     cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 " glass baking dish. Set aside.

Prepare the Bottom layer:

Remove the 1-1/2 cups of the dry cake mix and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the rest of the cake mix, butter, and egg with a fork. Press and spread the dough in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then let cool.

Prepare the Filling:

Mix all the ingredients for the filling using a (hand) mixer. Then spread this over the cooled bottom layer.

Prepare the Topping:

Mix together the topping ingredients with a fork until it is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the pumpkin filling. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife comes out of the center clean.

Set the glass baking dish on a rack and let cool completely before serving. 



Can add a scoop of ice cream if you like.

I made four more quilted hearts yesterday morning. 


You can read more about them HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment