Thursday, April 23, 2020

DAY 41 - SOCIAL DISTANCING AND PINEAPPLE COOKIES

It is Day 41 since we started our self-imposed social distancing and Day 38 since the order took affect in Kansas City, MO by Mayor Quinton Lucas. The numbers continue to be staggering and now some people are actually protesting around the country because of the orders. Last night as I watched some of the videos on the news of them protesting - walking and riding around in their cars carrying their signs, I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed several of them were wearing homemade face masks. Really? Until we get a vaccine for COVID-19, we must stay home/practice social distancing. Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest.

With the temperatures warming up, Wayne has been working in the yard to get out of the house. I have helped him a little bit, but continue to spend a lot of time inside sewing - Blankets of Hope and face masks. When we walk in the neighborhood, I wear my little face masks so I'm not breathing as much of the pollen. So far I am staying well after getting over whatever I had after we came back from CA in March. I would like to be tested to see if I have the antebodies for the virus because what I had for that week was actually a milder case of the virus. 

Yesterday I had my annual mammogram. It was originally scheduled for March 25 but they called to reschedule it. I was nervous about postponing it for a month but said okay. Well, I walked into the empty office except for 1 receptionist instead of the usual four. They had spread the appointments out so that the next patient came in just before you got your results. As I said I was my usual nervous when I went but received the best news when I was told "no change from last year" and got my letter with a happy face. 😊

To celebrate I came home and made these delicious Pineapple Cookies. They were advertised as "Light, pretty, and absolutely scrumptious" and they were. I had some crushed pineapple leftover from the cake I made for the workers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop (No, I haven't shared the recipe yet but will soon.) so thought the recipe sounded like a perfect way to use some of it.

The recipe came from Regina Stanhope of Our Savior Lutheran Church in Hanover, New Hamsphire and was in a Yankee Church Supper Cookbook.



PINEAPPLE COOKIES

1-1/2       cups sugar
2/3          cups butter
2             eggs
1/2          cup crushed pineapple (canned in syrup or fresh in natural juice; do not drain)
2-2/3       cups flour
1/2          teaspoon baking soda
1/2          teaspoon salt
2             teaspoons lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. (I did the latter.)


Mix (beat) the sugar and butter till smooth. (I sliced the cold butter so that it would blend faster and better.)
Add eggs and crushed pineapple and beat on low.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk.
Add all at once to mixture.
Add lemon extract and beat on low til smooth.



Using a cookie scoop and flatten across the top and drop on cookie sheet 2 inches apart - the cookies do spread as they bake.
Bake 12 - 15 minutes until lightly brown.
Allow to cool a few seconds on pan before removing them to finish cooling on wire racks. Separate with the parchment paper in cookie jar.










I treated neighbors and friends with a few since the recipe made about 4-1/2 dozen. I plan to leave a few in the mail box for the mailman today to thank him for continuing to put himself in danger to deliver our mail.


Some of the last face masks I made for New Mark Care Facility.

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC NUMBERS - 4/23/2020

UNITED STATES

CONFIRMED CASES           842,928
DEATHS                                  47,582

GLOBAL 

CONFIRMED CASES         2,638,022 
DEATHS                                 184,633

Day 45...


2 comments:

  1. Well, I agree...disheartening to see people out protesting, which simply spreads the virus more. Glad your mayor seems on top of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are also. Not sure when my husband will feel safe returning to "normal" though. He will definitely keep his distance and avoid crowds. Patricia

      Delete