Thursday, February 6, 2020

PECAN COBBLER

On the last leg of our trip back home after spending two weeks on Hilton Head Island, we stopped back in middle Tennessee and stayed with Wayne's cousin, Nancy. We checked out of the resort Saturday morning and I knew we couldn't get back to Kansas City early enough to watch the Super Bowl. We had stopped on our way down but just spent the night and left the next morning after breakfast. Wayne has another cousin (David) living nearby and they wanted to go out to dinner Saturday night. Then after church on Sunday, we all met again for lunch. Yes, it seemed like all we were doing was eating. 😋

On Sunday we went to a local cafe called Lu Lu's Cafe down the street from Nancy's church in Estill Springs. If we lived there, we would eat their all the time. The food was southernly (is that a word?) delicious! 

Their Sunday lunch special was 1 meat, 2 vegetables, + cobbler for $7.99. For another dollar you could add another meat. Wayne and I were the only ones in the group that got the cobbler. David said he didn't want any. Our choices were peach, cherry, and pecan. Wayne ordered the peach, and I couldn't resist the pecan mainly because I had never heard of pecan cobbler before. When David told the waitress he didn't want any cobbler, I tried to get him to get the cherry and then if I didn't like the pecan, I could eat the cherry, but he didn't. (I'm not sure he understood what I was asking.

She brought the cobbler before we got our food in a take-home container. It kinda surprised me, but I guess they know what they are doing. Neither one of us had any room for it in our tummies after we ate the meal. (I did take one bite to see what it tasted like, but it was so sweet.) We ate them with our dinner/supper later that evening during the Super Bowl game. Mine didn't taste as sweet as it had at lunch and the three of us all agreed we liked it.

Since I didn't ever remember seeing a recipe in any of my cookbooks for pecan cobbler, I searched online. I found quite a few...all very different. I settled on Serene's recipe at houseofyumm.com for two reasons. One...it made a smaller amount and two...it didn't use as much sugar. I followed her recipe because I didn't have any brown sugar/stevia blend. I wanted to reduce the brown sugar some by using it for the topping and still plan to try it again when I get some. I was going to use the full amount in the batter and then use the blend in the topping.

Serene suggests eating it warm with ice cream, but we just ate it warm. It was delicious!

For a printable version without pictures, click HERE.


PECAN COBBLER

3       tablespoon unsalted butter
1       cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
3/4    cup packed light brown sugar
1/2    cup milk
1       teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
3/4    cup light brown sugar
1       cup chopped pecans
1-1/2 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt butter in oven in an 8 x 8 - inch dish.
Remove and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
Stir with a fork  or whisk to mix.
Pour in milk and vanilla.
Stir to combine.


Carefully pour/spread the batter over the melted butter in the baking dish. I used a large spoon and moved it across the pan as I emptied the spoon. You want the batter to be evenly spread over the butter (you will not be stirring the mixture together). 

In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and nuts together for the topping using a fork.
Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the batter.


Carefully pour the hot water over the entire cake,
making sure you evenly cover the topping.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. (I baked mine the full 45 minutes.)
Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.

Serve warm. The hot water and brown sugar made a nice caramel sauce under the nutty cake topping. Dish some of the sauce over the serving before enjoying.



 and enjoy you will!!

No comments:

Post a Comment