Monday, February 24, 2020

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

Sometimes all you want is a good cookie! A really good cookie! And that's what I found when I made Ruby Hochstedler's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie. Ruby is the daughter-in-law, married to Glen, the sixth child of Emanuel & Magdelene (Mattie) Hochstedler (Kokomo, Indiana). Her recipe was in the Hochstedler Family Cookbook.

I made the cookies for us, but the recipe made about 5  dozen and after eating one, I knew I had better give some of them away or I would be eating them all. I took a dozen over to Friend Fran and then gave a dozen and a half to our neighbors, Coltie and Peter. I especially like to create that "warm out of the oven" taste so I heat them in the microwave for about 10 seconds before I eat them.

I didn't have any plain yogurt so I used vanilla yogurt. The recipe didn't give any directions for the cookie sheet. The cookies stuck slightly to the first two pans so I used parchment paper for the rest of the cookies. That worked great.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

1       cup  white sugar
1       cup brown sugar
1/2    cup butter, softened
1/2    cup plain yogurt (or vanilla will work fine)
2       eggs
1       teaspoon vanilla
2       cups flour
2-1/2 cups powdered oatmeal (use blender)
1       teaspoon baking powder
1       teaspoon soda
12     oz ( 2 cups) chocolate chips
Nuts(optional) (I used 1 cup chopped walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream together sugars, butter, yogurt, and eggs. Add vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients together in another bowl.
Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir to blend.
(To make the powdered oatmeal, measure old fashioned oats into blender and "blend" until all oats are powdered.)
Add chips and nuts, if you are using them.

Form dough into 1 inch balls (a cookie scoop works great for this) and
bake for 12 - 15 minutes. (I baked mine the full 15 minutes.)

Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment