Friday, July 22, 2016

LEMON-HONEY CHICKEN

I can't let the week go by without sharing another chicken recipe with you. If you have been following my blog, you know that I bought 40 lbs of fresh chicken breasts about a month ago. You can read about it here.

I ended up with 35 chicken large chicken breasts. That means we have to have chicken about once a week. (With leftovers that means we are eating chicken 2 or 3 nights a week.) I have tried several dishes main dishes using the slow cooker because I didn't want to heat up my kitchen and cooking in the slow cooker is so easy. This week though I found a recipe for baked chicken in the oven. (I just lowered the temperature on the A/C.

Actually I found two recipes in two different cookbooks that were very similar. I decided to take a little from each and come up with my own recipe. One of the recipes called Lemon-Honey Chicken was contributed by Judy Smith from Green Valley Baptist Church in Birmingham, AL (America's Best Recipes, a 1992 Hometown Collection). The other recipe was Tara Concelman from Houston, TX and was called Gold Shipment Broiled Chicken (Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook).



LEMON-HONEY CHICKEN

1/2       cup all-purpose flour
1           teaspoon salt
1/4       teaspoon pepper
3          lbs. chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2       cup butter, melted
1/4       cup honey
1/4       cup lemon juice
1           tablespoon prepared mustard


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rectangular baking dish with foil.


Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.


Combine the honey, lemon juice, and mustard in a small mixing bowl. Whisk til well blended. Set aside.


Melt the butter and pour into the foil lined baking dish.


Place chicken pieces in the baking dish.

Spray the chicken pieces with non-stick cooking spray. (If you prefer, you can skip this step and just brush or spoon on about half of the honey/lemon mixture at the beginning. I brushed the mixture on the chicken after it had been cooking about 10 minutes. Next time I will do it at the beginning and not spray the chicken pieces with the cooking spray. The picture above was taken after I had sprayed the pieces with the cooking spray.)


Bake the chicken for 30 minutes uncovered.


Remove chicken from oven and brush and pour remaining sauce over chicken pieces and return to oven. (Make sure you "wet" all the chicken pieces on the top.)


Bake 20 to 30 more minutes or until chicken pieces are done. (If you like, you can baste the pieces with the honey mixture during this baking time.)




No comments:

Post a Comment