Friday, July 1, 2016

EASY CHERRY COBBLER

This Cherry Cobbler is so easy. I have been wanting to make it ever since I got the cookbook but just always found something else to make....until now. Melonie Klosterhoff from Fairbanks, AK shared the recipe in Gooseberry Patch cookbook called 101 Homestyle Favorites. I have found so many recipes in this cookbook that I have loved.

I didn't have one-cup ramekins like used in the picture, but the recipe also said you could use a 2-quart casserole dish. That I did have. Melonie also said you could use fresh-from-the-farm cherries for a special treat. I would have liked to have done that as they are at a special price right now in the grocery stores, but she didn't say how much water to use to heat the cherries. (I bet you need to cook them a while also.) 

I had a can of (sweet) tart red cherries as the recipe called for so my husband told me to just make it using them, measure the amount of liquid, and then make it again using the fresh cherries. Sounds like a plan to me. I had 2 different cans of tart cherries. One was the sweet tart red cherries in water and the other one was dark red cherries in heavy syrup. The latter would have made a sweeter cobbler but it would also have had more calories per serving. You can use whichever you like.


EASY CHERRY COBBLER

1          15-ounce can tart red cherries
1          cup all-purpose flour
1-1/4   cup sugar, divided
1          cup milk
2         teaspoons baking powder
1/8      teaspoon salt
1/2      cup butter, melted (1 stick)
Optional: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish or 4 to 6 one-cup ramekins.

In a saucepan over medium heat, cook cherries with their juice until boiling; remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, one cup of sugar (I used 1/2 cup of sugar/stevia blend), baking powder, and salt. Then add milk.

Pour melted butter in bottom of dish. Pour flour mixture over the butter. (It may not look like it in my picture, but I did pour it around over the bottom and not just in the middle.)

Add cherries; do not sit. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over top. (I had planned to use real sugar for this but forgot it. Oops.)

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. (20 minutes for smaller containers and 30 minutes for 2-quart container.)

Serve warm, garnished as desired. 

Makes 4 - 6 servings.  

(We ate ours plain and cold and it was good also.)


No comments:

Post a Comment