Friday, July 8, 2016

HOT CHICKEN SALAD

This weeks chicken recipe is a new idea for me. I love chicken salad....cold chicken salad with fruit and nuts, that is. (Here is a really good recipe I made.). This recipe is for a Hot chicken salad. I found it in Wanda E. Brunstetter's The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection and was contributed by Laura Byler from Woodhull, NY.

I had thawed out two chicken breasts thinking I needed both of them for a recipe, but I didn't. I tell you those chicken breasts I bought are soooooo huge. I decided to just cook the breast by boiling it. My husband cut it into cubes, perfect for this recipe.

I mixed up the dish and put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours so my husband would be home when I took it out of the oven. It is called Hot chicken salad afterall.



HOT CHICKEN SALAD

2          stalks of celery, diced (about a cup)
2 - 3    cups chicken, cooked and chopped (I had just a little over 1 cup.)
1           can cream of chicken soup
2 to 3  eggs, hard boiled and chopped (I used 2 large eggs)
1           teaspoon onions, minced
1           cup rice, cooked (I used minute brown rice)
3/4      cup (Miracle Whip) salad dressing (I used reduced fat)
salt and pepper to taste
1          cup crushed potatoes chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a casserole dish big enough to hold ingredients. (I think the one I used is a 2 quart dish...it doesn't have anything on the bottom)


Combine the celery, chicken, soup, eggs, onions, rice, Miracle Whip, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
I mixed up everything but the rice first. Then added the rice.


Put in the casserole
and cover with the crushed potato chips. Make sure you completely cover the top. If you use a flatter dish, you may need a little crushed chips.
I put the chips in  a sandwich bag to crush them with my hands.

Bake 25 minutes.
Serve hot....

No comments:

Post a Comment