Saturday, November 23, 2013

PUMPKIN CHEESE BREAD

I have been making this pumpkin cheese bread for over 20 years. 

When I made it this afternoon, I really tried to use the 2-1/2 cups of sugar, but I just couldn't. My eating habits have changed considerably in the last 20 years.  I couldn't even use that much stevia either.  So I used sugar/stevia blend since you only use half what the recipe calls for when you use it.  

I also used my fat free cream cheese.  I try to use it as much as I can in recipe.  It usually works fine except in recipes like pies that you want the filling to "set up".  Then I use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese. 

I also use a lighter margarine too.

I had forgotten how good it was though since the last time I made it. Since I make it in the smaller loaves, I can sneak a couple of thin slices during the day and I don't feel like I am eating a lot.  




PUMPKIN CHEESE BREAD


2-1/2     cups sugar (I used 1-1/4 cups sugar/stevia blend)
1            8-oz package cream cheese (fat free works great)
1/2         cup margarine (light margarine works)
4            eggs
1            15-oz can pumpkin
3-1/2      cups flour
2            teaspoons baking soda
1            teaspoons salt
1            teaspoons cinnamon
1/2         teaspoon baking powder
1/4         teaspoon ground cloves
1            cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 4 - mini loaf pans or one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Combine sugar, cream cheese and margarine mixing at medium speed on an electric mixer until well blended.






Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.



















Blend in pumpkin.











Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.  (I sifted the ingredients.)

Add the dry ingredients to wet mixture just until moistened.

Fold in nuts if you are using them.





Pour into pans.








Bake for 35 - 40 minutes for mini loaves or 1 hour for large loaf. Check doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center.







Cool 5 minutes and then remove loaves from pans and continue cooling on wire rack. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment