Wednesday, June 12, 2013

BANANA NUT LOAF

I made this recipe for Banana Nut Loaf the day before going on vacation.  I froze one of the loaves and wrapped the other one and took with us.  

When we got to Atlanta to visit with friends, Vicki and Don, she cut it and we enjoyed some of it for breakfast.  I told her I hadn't made it in a long time, but I thought it was probably good.  It was!  

I left her a couple of slices and I took a couple with me to enjoy later on our trip.  (We had that many slices left because she ate the last two slices of the Banana Blueberry Mini loaves I had made the same day and brought...I only had two slices left because we had been enjoying it during the first couple of days of our trip.  She liked it so much so chose to eat the last slice of it instead of this recipe.)  Missed that recipe....check it out HERE.  

Anyway it is a good recipe for banana nut bread.  Hope you will continue reading.

I found this recipe in a Family Circle magazine way back in 1983. At least that was the first time I made it. The recipe card is fairly soiled so I think it was a favorite back then. The only changes I made from when I used to make it was using soft wheat flour for the all purpose flour and the sugar blend for the cup of sugar.  I find the sugar blend is just as sweet as using all sugar but I can enjoy the fact that I have reduced the calories. I also made two generous mini loaves instead of the larger loaf. That way I can freeze one or both for later enjoyment.




BANANA NUT LOAF

1/2     cup margarine ( 1 stick)
1         cup sugar ( I used 1/2 cup sugar blend)
1         egg, beaten
2        cups all purpose flour 
1         teaspoon baking powder
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1         cup mashed bananas (2 large bananas)
3        tablespoons milk
1/2     cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 5 x 3 - inch loaf pan.  (I used two mini-pans)

Beat margarine, sugar, and egg until fluffy.

Combine bananas and milk.

Sift (or stir with a whisk) flour, baking powder, and baking soda.

Stir into sugar mixture alternately with banana/milk mixture (beginning and ending with the dry ingredients).

Stir in nuts.


Turn into prepared pan.  I made 2 generous mini loaves.

Bake for 1 hour for one loaf or 40 - 45 minutes for mini loaves. Check doneness with a toothpick.


Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.











Turn out of pan and cool completely on wire rack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment