Thursday, June 6, 2013

BANANA BLUEBERRY MINI LOAVES


This is another recipe I found in one of my mother's recipe boxes.  
I had bananas that I needed to use (too bad it only needed one of them) and I had the blueberries I bought recently at Aldi's.  I will have to add the leftover blueberries to the rest that I already have in the freezer and my husband will eat the bananas.  He isn't as "picky" as I am about bananas he will eat.  

I did reduce calories by using applesauce for the oil and cut the sugar in half by using a sugar blend.  She had written just plain yogurt and I used plain, non-fat Greek yogurt with added protein.  I'm sure she would have done the same thing if she were alive and making them now.  The way we cook has really changed the last 10 or so years, hasn't it?

I hope you will give it a try. They are really moist.



BANANA BLUEBERRY MINI LOAVES

1      cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar blend)
1/2   cup oil (I used 1/2 cup applesauce sweetened with Splenda)
1/2   cup mashed ripe banana (1 large)
1/2   cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1      teaspoon vanilla
2      eggs
2      cups flour
1      teaspoons baking soda
1/2   teaspoon salt
1      cup fresh or frozen blueberries


(I quick froze my fresh blueberries for about 30 minutes beforehand)








Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.

Combine the sugar, oil (applesauce), banana, yogurt, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.  Beat with a whisk til well blended.

Combine the flour, soda, and salt in another bowl with a whisk.

Add to the wet mixture and stir well.


Fold in the blueberries.  This is so much easier to do when the blueberries are frozen.








Pour evenly in the three mini pans.








Bake for 40 - 50 minutes.  Check doneness with a toothpick.


Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.









Remove from pans.


Wrap lightly with foil and store in the refrigerator.









I have never done this before with a recipe.  But because they are still fairly warm, moisture forms, and they are really moist.  I waited until the next day to cut and eat a slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment