Tuesday, July 5, 2016

BUTTERSCOTCH CRUMB APPLE PIE

When my older son and his family came through on their way back home, we joined them and our younger son and his family for dessert and family time the night before they headed back to CO. They asked me to bring the dessert. (Surprised?) 

I asked them if they had any preference. Older son Jeffrey said, "Pie." Oldest grandson Colby said, "Apple." Younger son Patrick and the rest of the grandkids said, "Brownies." So I made both. Actually I made two different brownie recipes (will be sharing them later).

I wanted to make a Dutch - type apple pie and when I saw this recipe with the butterscotch morsels, I was intrigued. I made sure that met with Jeffrey and Colby approval first. I certainly didn't want to make an apple pie that they wouldn't eat.

Later dil Sara sent me a text telling me that Jeffrey said to tell his dad to bring ice cream. (I had already thought of that.


BUTTERSCOTCH CRUMB APPLE PIE

4        cups peeled, sliced Granny Smith apples (I fill my 4 cup measuring cup to the top to make up for the spaces.)
1-1/2   teaspoons lemon juice
1/2      cup sugar
1/4      cup all-purpose flour
1          teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8      teaspoon salt
1          unbaked 9 - inch pastry shell
Topping (see below)
Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine apple slices and lemon juice in a medium bowl; toss well.

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; stir well.
Add sugar mixture to apple mixture, stirring gently to combine.

Spoon apple mixture into pastry shell.
Cover edges of pastry with strips of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove foil and
sprinkle topping over apple mixture;
bake an additional 25 minutes.


Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

TOPPING

1       cup (6 ounce package) butterscotch morsels
1/4   cup butter or margarine
3/4  cup all-purpose flour
1/8   teaspoon salt

Combine butterscotch morsels and butter in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until morsels and butter melt,
stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat;
add flour and salt, stirring well.
Let stand 10 minutes or until crumbly. (I started this after I put the pie in the oven for the first 20 minutes. It was ready when they pie came out. The mixture doesn't work crumbly, but if you pick up small amounts at a time, it will break up (like crumbles) when you wiggle your fingers. Evenly cover the top.)


I always fill the measuring cup full when a recipe calls for 4 cups of sliced apples.




From Lynn Moss The Ruth Newman Shapiro Cancer and Heart Fund of Atlantic City, New Jersey. America's Best Recipes, A 1992 Hometown Collection.

Here are some pictures after dessert.... and sitting around the fire pit...


Grandson Tyler

Granddaughters Madison and Sadie

Grandson Colby playing lawn darts


Son Jeffrey with their foster child, Dil Sara and grandson Henry, Granddaughters Hallie and Sadie

Son Patrick doesn't always like to get his picture taken.

My six darling grandkids

Just the guys

No comments:

Post a Comment