Friday, September 12, 2014

BUTTERSCOTCH (CHOCOLATE) BARS

A thumb up. That's how John told me what he thought of these Butterscotch Bars that I made and took to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I didn't get to go to any estate sales last week because my husband and I went to CO to spend the weekend with our older son and his family. What a great time we had! And those precious grandkids! They just get smarter, taller, and cuter every time we see them.

As I was saying, I didn't have the opportunity to buy any new cookbooks so I decided to just check out some of my dil Sara's cookbooks. Surprise! Surprise! I found quite a few. (Not really, Sara is a great cook! We enjoyed several of her recipes while we were there.)

We got home Monday evening from visiting with our son and his family in CO so I had to spend a little time deciding what I was going to bake to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday. I finally settled on one from Sara's Gooseberry Patch Fall Family & Friends cookbook. Judy Jones from Chinquapin, NC contributed her Butterscotch Bars. 

I had a carrot cake mix but not a full cup of butterscotch chips. I ended up adding about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to them. 

Really turned out yummy.



BUTTERSCOTCH (CHOCOLATE) BARS

1        spice or carrot cake mix (I did use the carrot cake mix)
2       tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/2    cup oil
2       eggs
2       tablespoons water
1/2    cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1        cup butterscotch chips (or combine with chocolate chips to make 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine the cake mix and the brown sugar.

Add the oil, eggs, and water. Mix well. (Batter is thick)

Stir in nuts and chips.

Spread evenly in pan.

Bake for 22 minutes (done but not dry).

Cool.

Cut in bars 

No comments:

Post a Comment