Monday, September 15, 2014

APPLE UPSIDE- DOWN CAKE

When the "gang" came over to play Mexican Train Wednesday, I decided to use some of the apples that we had picked at the Happy Apple Farm when we visited our son and his family in CO.  This recipe for Apple Upside-Down Cake was one of the recipes I found in dil Sara's cookbook, Home Style Cooking from Taste of Home. 

The directions said to serve it warm, so I decided I would wait and prepare it just before my friends were to arrive. That way it would be ready to put in the oven and be baking while we were playing. They all know about my blog and were impressed with me in my apron working away in the kitchen. (I laughed with them.)

I have to say that the picture in the cookbook didn't do the cake justice. It was one of the prettiest cake I have ever made when I took it out of the pan. About four apple slices remained in the pan, but it was super easy to remove them and put them in place on the cake.  Everyone had been talking about how good it smelled baking. I couldn't help but take it in and show it to them. (Get ready for the oohs and aahs!)

I thought I was going to use about three of my apples because that was what the recipe called for. But I decided to just peel and slice one apple at a time and place them around in the pan in a single layer as instructed.  Well, I am glad I did, because it only took one apple.  I reread the recipe several times, but it said "single layer" so I just used the one apple.  Not sure why Linda Wetsch said to use 3 medium apples. I use margarine for the butter (always do) and a sugar/stevia blend for the sugar in the cake to reduce the amount of sugar.  I did use regular brown sugar but next time may try the brown/sugar blend.  I wanted to make sure there was enough to make a good "topping". I also used plain non - fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream.

I do have lots of pictures with this post, so remember if you want to print the recipe using the print button at the bottom of the post, it will allow you to omit the images.



APPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

1/3      cup margarine, melted
1         cup packed brown sugar
1         medium tart apple, peeled, cored, and sliced (or enough to cover the bottom of the 9 - inch round pan in a single layer)
1/2     cup chopped walnuts

CAKE:

3       tablespoons margarine, softened
3/4    cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar/stevia blend)
2       eggs
1       cup all-purpose flour
3/4    teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1/4    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2    cup buttermilk
3       tablespoons sour cream (I used plain non - fat Greek yogurt)
1       teaspoon apple brandy or rum, optional (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Pour melted margarine into an ungreased 9 - inch round baking pan; 
sprinkle with half of the brown sugar. 
Arrange the apple slices in a single layer over the brown sugar; 
sprinkle chopped nuts over the apple slices. 
Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the nuts. 


In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar until light an fluffy. 
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. (Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed)


Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in different bowl.

Combine the buttermilk and sour cream (or Greek yogurt) in a bowl.


Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture alternately beginning and ending with the flour mixture, (I did 3 times with the flour and twice with the buttermilk) beating well after each addition. (Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.) Add in brandy, if desired.


Carefully pour and spread the batter over the brown sugar making sure not to disturb the brown sugar layer.


Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.



Run a knife around the insides of the pan and invert the pan onto a serving plate. (Tap the bottom of the pan, if you don't feel like the cake is releasing.)

If necessary, replace any apple slices that might not release from the pan. (Can you tell which four slices I replaced? Didn't think so.)


Serve warm. (8 servings)

I didn't, but if you want to add a little whipped topping, you could.



No comments:

Post a Comment