Monday, October 5, 2026

PUMPKIN CRAISIN SCONES


Yesterday I shared a recipe with you for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars. In the post I said the recipe works great with a recipe I had made first for Pumpkin Craisin Scones. These are the scones.

I think scones are just about my favorite bread except maybe my Buttermilk Biscuits. (I did win a blue ribbon on them this summer at the County Fair.) Check them out HERE if you want to give them a try. I've been making them by my larger recipe and freezing them like I did these scones.)

Anytime I find a recipe for scones, you can bet I am probably going to try it out. If you are on the web version for this post, you can type in  -  scones   -  in the search window in the right margin and all of my different scone recipes will show up in another window. I have found some really awesome recipes.

These Pumpkin Craisin Scones are so soft and tender. Craisins or dried cranberries whatever you call them is probably my favorite add-in. Mini chocolate chips would also be nice but I'm not sure I have ever done that. I didn't add the glaze because I didn't want the extra sugar. I actually used truvia brown sugar complete for the 1/4 cup brown sugar.

I do hope you will decide to try these out. I don't think you will be sorry.

 





print recipe

 PUMPKIN CRAISIN SCONES

2-1/4    cups flour

1/4         cup packed brown sugar 

2            teaspoons baking powder

1-1/2      teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1/2         teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4         teaspoon baking soda

1/4         teaspoon salt

1/2         cup (1 stick) cold butter

1             large egg, room temperature

2/3        cup canned pumpkin

1/2         cup chopped dried cranberries

1/4         cup milk

GLAZE (optional)

1             cup powdered sugar

1-1/2      tablespoons milk

1/8         teaspoon pumpkin pie spice


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.


In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and spices to blend well.

(I sifted the ingredients twice.)




Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.

(I thinly slice the butter and work in four or five slices at a time until I have the butter all cut in.) Set aside.


In another bowl whisk the egg, pumpkin,  and milk together until well blended.

Chop the dried cranberries and add them to the wet mixture.

Pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Make sure you have mixed in all of the dry ingredients. (My fingers were too messy to get a picture.)


On a lightly floured surface, dump the dough and knead until the batter holds together. (May need to sprinkle a little extra flour on the top when you do this.)

Pat the dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.


Cut the "circle" into 8 wedges. (May have to dust the knife with some flour. Reshape the wedges as necessary.)


Brush tops with a little milk.

Place the wedges not touching on a parchment paper cookie sheet. (I didn't do this and mine stuck to the pan.)


Bake 12-15 minutes or until done.












I didn't want the added sugar so I did not make the glaze. If you want to drizzle some glaze over them, do so after you take them out of the oven.


Personal note: I only baked two wedges and

put the rest on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and placed in the freezer to quick freeze. (Place in a gallon sized ziplock bag to store in the freezer.) I will take out the amount I want to bake the next time and bake them in the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment