Wednesday, October 16, 2024

PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE

 Fall has definitely arrived in KC. The first three nights this week our temperatures have dropped into the 30s. I finally had to turn the heater on yesterday because the temperature in the house was down to 66 degrees. I admit I probably would have waited but the canasta group was meeting at our house and I didn't want them to be cold. By the end of the week the daytime highs will be in the 70s which is what I would expect for this time of the year.

For dessert, I decided to try this recipe for Pumpkin Coffee Cake that I saw on Facebook. It sounded perfect and looked nice in the picture. The thing was though...it looked nothing like the picture. That isn't the first time that has happened to me. The recipe was a flop one time, but this time my results were fine. 

Their picture showed layers and even called it a layered dessert, but mine had no layers and I'm not sure how it would create layers.

My friends really liked it and I even served them coffee. I had to call Wayne to ask him how to use the new Keurig. He enjoys telling people that I can't make coffee since I don't drink it. Anyway, they said the coffee cake was just begging for coffee. Personally, it tasted great with my iced tea, but...

The cake was so light tasting and actually not real "pumpkiny". They said it tasted like a spice cake and agreed with me that they couldn't really taste the pumpkin. I just might end up making it for the Cafe Treats and cut into slender bars since the cake holds together so nicely.

So I would say along as you aren't expecting it to take real pumpkiny, you will really enjoy it...with a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea.




PRINT RECIPE.

PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE

2     cups flour

1      cup sugar

1/2  cup brown sugar

1      teaspoon baking powder

1      teaspoon baking soda

1      teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2  teaspoon cinnamon

1/4  teaspoon salt

1/2  cup oil

1      cup pumpkin puree

2     large eggs

*     *     *     *     *

1/2  cup flour

1/2  cup brown sugar

1/2  teaspoon cinnamon

1/4  cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, thinly sliced


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13  inch baking dish. Set aside.


In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt with a whisk.

Set aside.


In another bowl, combine the oil, pumpkin, and eggs with the whisk.


Pour the wet ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients.

Stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined.


Pour the batter in the prepared pan spreading out evenly and smoothly. Set aside.


In a smaller bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon with a whisk.

Thinly slice the cold butter into the bowl and cut in with a pastry cutter or fork.

It is okay to have some larger pieces of the butter.


Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the pan and

bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.





Cool in the pan until ready to serve.

Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment