Monday, March 25, 2024

BROWNIES with CHEESECAKE SWIRL

 

As is the usual case I find myself trying to decide what sugar-free option I am going to make on Saturday to take to the church on Sunday for the Cafe Treats. This past Saturday I didn't get around to this until after dinner. That was not a good idea. 

We were fortunate here in Kansas City to have had a fairly easy winter. In fact for the most part we had spring in winter. Now that it is actually spring, we seem to be having our winter. Not a severe winter, but the highs have been lower and the lows are getting down in the low 20s. We might even have snow Tuesday morning. I certainly don't hope so because Blankets of Hope, the quilt ministry at the church is scheduled to meet Tuesday afternoon.

Saturday was one of those days that is normal for Kansas City and that is strong winds. This Saturday though it was not just windy, it was a very cool (cold) wind. When I realized I didn't have a zero sugar cake mix, I wasn't in the mood to go out and buy one after dinner. So the only sugar-free thing in the house to make that would be easy and fast was a zero sugar brownie mix.

When I turned the box over to read the directions for preparing, I noticed another recipe on the bottom half of the box back. Zero Sugar Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl. Since I had gotten out the cream cheese to soften earlier in the day when I thought I was going to make some cake mix cookies, it wasn't hard to change my plans and make this recipe.

Everything was going fine, until I made the cheesecake batter and I had so much. More than I needed for the 8 inch pan I was using. I wanted to see some of the brownie with the cheesecake on top of the brownie. Mine ended up being almost like a baked cheesecake icing on the brownie. That's why I suggested using a 9 x 13 - inch recipe/box mix.

I wanted to share this recipe with you so I just used my pictures from my first attempt. Everyone at the church enjoyed the brownies. I just can't wait to try them again in a large pan with a larger recipe. 



PRINT RECIPE.

BROWNIES with CHEESECAKE SWIRL

1     package brownie mix or your favorite homemade recipe

       made according to directions

1     8 oz package cream cheese, softened

1     egg

2     tablespoons sugar 

1     teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of the pan you are using - - 8 inch square, 9 inch square, or 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.

Prepare the brownies by recipe or by the directions on the box if using a box mix.


Evenly spread the batter in the pan. Set aside.


In a bowl, mix the softened cream, sugar, and vanilla extract until

smooth with a hand mixer.


Using a teaspoon (I really used an ice tea teaspoon), drop the cheesecake batter in drop onto the brownie batter.

(I used an 8 - inch square pan and felt I had too much cheesecake batter for the size of the pan. Next time I will use a 9 x 13 - inch pan and make more brownies.)


Gently swirl with the tip of a knife through the cheesecake and brownie mix.


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes for the 8 or 9 - inch pan or until the center is set. Longer for the 9 x 13 - inch pan. (Add at least 5 minutes to the directions for the large amount.)




Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.


Cut into squares to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment