Tuesday, August 25, 2020

DAY 166 - TOMATO SOUP CAKE

This is one of those cakes you don't want to tell people the name of it because the name might turn them off of the cake. Well, if the name turns you off, I'm sorry. AND you would be too if you actually ate a piece.

I remember this "name" from years and years ago and I think I did make it one time, but that was so long ago I don't remember what I thought of it. The cookbook I used for the recipe is from 1976 Louise Durman's Desserts. She was the Food Editor for the Knoxville News-Sentinel, Knoxville, Tennessee. Wayne said it tasted like a carrot cake without the carrots. Today when I went back to get my pan, one of the young men working there now, asked me if it was really a tomato soup cake. (That's what someone told him.) I told him it was and he said it tasted like carrot cake. Funny.

Ever since we started staying-at-home with this pandemic - March 17, I have not been volunteering at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. It actually closed for a month or two until the powers-that-be decided it was an essential business. About half of the volunteers have still not returned so the management as had to hire some employees. The shop has made some changes due to the virus - Monday is for volunteers only to come in and work and then the shop is only open for business Tuesday - Saturday from 11 - til 6 (5 on Saturday). That way the volunteers can come in and work for several hours before the shop opens during the week. I really need to start going in on Mondays to work. Not sure what I would do since I have only worked the registers, but I'm sure they can find something for me to do. I miss seeing the smiling faces. 

A couple of times I have taken a cake/dessert in during this time for the volunteers which is what I did with this cake. (If you are new to my blog, you might be surprised that every week ((I usually volunteered one 3-hour shift a week.)) when I went in for a number of years, I take a dessert for the volunteers.) They get a big smile whenever they see me.

I haven't been cooking as much since mid-March so that means I haven't had as many posts to share with you or traveling either. We are trying to stay safe and our group of contacts is small now. 



TOMATO SOUP CAKE

1/2        cup shortening
1-1/3     cup sugar
2           cups flour
4           teaspoons baking powder
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2        teaspoon ground cloves
1/2        teaspoon nutmeg
1           teaspoon cinnamon
2           eggs
1           (10.75 ounce) can of tomato soup
1/4        cup water
3/4        cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees (350 degrees if using a glass casserole dish). Grease and flour two eight or nine-inch round cake pans or one 9 x 13 - inch cake pan. Set aside.


Cream shortening and sugar together. 












Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
Add eggs to creamed mixture and beat.
Add the flour mixture (1/3 at a time) alternately with the
tomato soup/water (half) beginning and ending with the flour.
Beat for two minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl several times during this process.
Add the nuts. 



Pour batter into pan(s).
Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack and then
frost cake with frosting below.



CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1          (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1          tablespoon milk
1-1/2    cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2       teaspoon vanilla


Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and milk til smooth.
Blend in rest of the ingredients and continue beating until smooth.
(I added the powdered sugar a little at time so it wouldn't be so messy.)


Cut cake into 24 squares and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment