Friday, February 20, 2015

BANANA CHIP MUFFINS

The first time I made these Banana Chip Muffins I made them in a regular muffin tin. Our neighbor Jerry had come over with his snow blower and cleared off our driveway. The recipe made 12 regular size muffins and my husband and I split one just to make sure they tasted okay. I wouldn't want to give them to him if they didn't. I really enjoyed my half and was a little surprised when my husband said they could be a little sweeter. He usually likes breads and desserts that aren't real sweet.  I told him to tell Jerry that they weren't sweet so that they wouldn't be disappointed when they ate them.

I needed something for him to take over to the tax office at Fort Leavenworth yesterday and decided it would be the perfect time to try the recipe again but add more sugar. I also decided to make them in my mini-muffin pan so there would be plenty to go around. I expected to make 24 mini muffins but the recipe made 9 more. That was enough that we could easily enjoy a whole one a piece and compare the taste. They were a little sweeter but not as sweet as I expected them to be. My husband said they were much better. I will leave it up to you as to how much sugar you use according to your own personal taste. I am sharing the latter / sweeter version with you.


BANANA CHIP MUFFINS

1 - 3/4    cups flour
1/4          cup sugar/stevia blend or 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 - 1/2    teaspoon baking powder
3/4         teaspoon salt
1              egg
1/2          cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/2          cup mashed ripe banana
1/2          cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3          cup canola oil
1              cup mini chocolate chips
1/2          cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tin or mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine the flour, sugar/blend, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl with a whisk.

Combine the egg, milk, mashed banana, applesauce, and oil in another smaller bowl. Whip with a whisk until completely mixed.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just til combined.

Stir in the chips.

Stir in the nuts.

Fill muffin tin about 3/4 full.

Bake for 20 minutes if making 12 regular size muffins OR 12 minutes for the mini muffins.

Cool for 2 minutes in tins before removing.

Finish cooling on a wire rack.

Serve warm or cold ( but really good warm).

When I had the extra 9 mini muffins, I filled the cups with the batter and added a little water to the empty cups. This allows for even baking of the filled cups.

The muffins are so good....full of mini chocolate chips and I like the addition of the nuts. The recipe didn't call for nuts and I didn't add them to the muffins I gave Jerry. But I decided to add them to the batch I made yesterday. Glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment