Monday, July 27, 2015

ZUCCHINI CRANBERRY & ORANGE BREAD

At an estate sale last Thursday I saw a recipe in a cookbook with zucchini and a box of cranberry and orange muffin mix. I love that muffin mix and thought it would be a good one to try. 

When I got home I discovered that the last zucchini I bought had ruined in the refrigerator. (I surely wish I could be successfully grow them. Friends who are complain because they have more than they can do something with. It's just not fair!) Anyway I went to Hy Vee to buy one or two so I could make it.

Well, I mixed it up by the recipe (I remembered - it was fairly easy) and put it in the oven to bake. I was a little concerned because the batter seems a little thin, but I had followed the recipe. At the end of the baking time though the loaf was NOT done. I cooked it almost 10 extra minutes until the toothpick came out "fairly clean" (as the recipe stated). My toothpick was actually "clean" so that is why I was surprised when I cut a slice after it had completely cooled and the loaf was NOT done.

Fortunately I had another box of the muffin mix and some zucchini left so I got up Saturday morning and gave it another try - but with my recipe and not the one I had seen in the cookbook.

This time it was a totally different "ball game". The loaves (I decided to make 2 mini loaves) looked so pretty and even better when I finally cut myself a slice, it looked like it should look AND it was done.

I gave my husband a slice and he thought it was so good. Much better than other zucchini breads I have made - he said.

I froze one of the loaves and will have to buy some more of the mixes the next time I go to Aldi's. I will try to not let my "bought" zucchini ruin next time.



ZUCCHINI CRANBERRY & ORANGE BREAD

1       box Cranberry & Orange Muffin mix
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1       teaspoon McCormick's Valencia orange peel
1       cup grated zucchini, chopped
1       beaten egg
1/2   cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two mini loaf pans or one 8 - 1/2 x 4 - 1/2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.


Combine the muffin mix, cinnamon, and orange peel in a mixing bowl.

Add the zucchini.


Add the beaten egg and water. (I just used a fork to beat the egg slightly.

Stir with a wooden spoon just til mixed.

Divide the batter evenly into the mini loaf pans.


Bake for about 40 minutes for the mini loaves. The single loaf will probably take at least 50 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Cook longer if necessary.
Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack.


The remove and finish cooling on the wire rack.


Slice when cooled. Can wrap one of the mini loaves and freeze for later enjoyment. 








Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment