Thursday, July 9, 2015

TURTLE CAKE

I have always heard that Methodist women were great cooks. I also think lots of teachers are great cooks, also. I have several recipes in my collection from different teachers I knew and taught with at Westwood Elementary School in Springdale, AR back in the late 70s. 

I don't know how many times I have considered making this Turtle Cake but passed it by and chose something else. Last week when I needed something to take to a 4th of July party, I decided it was finally time. 

Even though the recipe said you could use a German chocolate cake mix or a Devil's food cake mix, at the last minute I decided I would buy a German chocolate one. I had to buy a bag of caramels, so it really wasn't a special trip to the grocery store that I had to make. (I think that is probably why I always made something else..I don't normally have caramels in my pantry.) For once, I didn't deviate from the recipe except that I used nuts in the cake and in the frosting.

If you have children, call them to help you unwrap the  caramels. This took me forever. I ended up having to call my husband to help me because the cake was ready to come out of the oven but I didn't have the caramel mixture ready to pour over it. If you don't have anyone to help you, I would suggest that you unwrap them before you start the cake.



TURTLE CAKE

1         German chocolate cake mix or Devil's food cake mix + ingredients to make it
1         can of evaporated milk
1         14 - oz bag of (individually wrapped) caramels
1-1/2  cups chocolate chips
1/2     cups chopped nuts


Unwrap the caramels...it takes longer than you can imagine.
Mix the cake mix according to instructions on the box. Pour half of the batter (about 2 - 1/4 cups) into a greased and floured 9 x 13 - inch cake pan (I used my homemade Pan Grease).
Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.


Melt the bag of caramels with 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk in a double boiler stirring constantly. 



Pour the caramel mixture over the baked cake.


Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the caramel mixture.


Sprinkle the nuts over the chips.


Pour the rest of the cake mixture on top of everything. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes. (I baked mine about 25 minutes.)



Remove and cool.









Prepare the frosting and pour over cake.



CANDY FROSTING

1         stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1/4     cup + 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1/4     cup cocoa (sift if lumpy)
1         box confectionery sugar (4 cups) (sift if lumpy)
1         teaspoon vanilla
1/2     cup chopped nuts

Combine the butter, milk, and cocoa in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly.


Pour over sugar that you have in a large bowl. Stir 3 - 5 minutes. (I ended up transferring mine to my mixing bowl and my electric mixture because I didn't sift the cocoa or powdered sugar) Add vanilla and nuts.

Spread over cake. It pours nicely.










Place in refrigerator. This cake tastes better if you make it at least a day before you are ready to serve it---keeping it in the refrigerator.

This is what my dessert looked like at the end of the party.  After giving two servings to Friend Janice and her husband, my husband and I certainly enjoyed the rest of the leftovers over the next few days. It is true that it tastes better days after being made. Just remember to store it in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment