Thursday, July 16, 2015

FRESH PEACH PIE

It was my plan to make another batch of peach jam with the peaches I had gotten at Sprouts. When I realized I might not have enough canning jars though, I decided to make a Peach Pie with them. My husband loves pie and peaches! It would be a nice surprise for him.

I spent some time looking through several cookbooks looking for a different recipe than what I consider a normal peach pie with 2 crusts. I was looking for one with a "Dutch" topping (you know like on apple pies), but couldn't find one. I found two in a "new" cookbook I just found at an estate sale called Rare Recipes and Budget Savers Volume 2 as compliled from the columns of the Wichita Eagle's Home Town News. It's a fun book to read the recipes and the comments that were made when the people sent their recipes to the newspaper back in the early 60s. Neither one of them had a crust of any sort for the top. I just wasn't sure. Then I picked up my Women's Circle Home Cooking Cooking Delight cookbook and found this recipe from Sarah M Burkett of Centralia, IL. 

I did substitute stevia for the sugar in the recipe. It was all in the "top crust" so I didn't think it would matter. My husband really liked it. The fresh peaches are so delicious! And the "top crust" turned out okay. (I wasn't sure when I was actually preparing it, but it covered the peaches and was just the right amount of topping.)



FRESH PEACH PIE

5      cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1       unbaked 9 - inch pie crust
1/3   cup butter or margarine, melted
1       cup sugar (I used stevia)
1/3   cup all-purpose flour
1       egg
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Prepare pie crust for a 9 - inch pie plate

Place peaches in the pie crust. (Don't they look so "peachy"?)


Combine the melted butter, sugar, flour, egg (beaten), and cinnamon in a bowl.



Spread over the peaches. (I used a fork to drop small amounts on peaches and then spread them together to cover the peaches. I didn't think it was going to work out but it did.)


Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.


Serve.

Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment